Culture Coffee and Colourful Souks Small Group Dubai Tour
Get away from the OTT skyscrapers and fantasy hotels for the morning and discover the old-world charms of Dubai before the oil rush. We will meet local Emirati friends who will introduce us to their traditional ways of life, discover the cultural treasures of the Alfahidi district, and then shop ‘till we drop in the best souks in the city. Plenty of time will be dedicated to browsing (and making a street food pit stop if you fancy) with your local guide on-hand to assist in finding the best price for what you want.
per adult from
3 to 4 hours
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Cold water
- Arabic coffee (or a cold drink for those who do not fancy coffee)
- Doner kabab or falafel sandwich
- Abra water taxi fare
- Entry/Admission - Al Fahidi Historical District - حي الفهيدي التاريخي
- Entry/Admission - Sharjah Calligraphy Museum
- Entry/Admission - Coffee museum
- Entry/Admission - Al Fahidi Fort
- Entry/Admission - The Old Town
- Entry/Admission - Al Ras
What's excluded :
- Additional drinks and food
- Transportation to and from the meeting/end points
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Al Fahidi Historical District - حي الفهيدي التاريخي, Bur DubaiAl Hamriya - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Our tour begins with a gentle stroll to the historic Alfahidi district, one of the oldest heritage sites in Dubai. As we journey through its narrow lanes we will start to discover more about what life was like here before the skyscrapers came.
Our first stop is a traditional Bedouin tent where we will share a coffee and chat with our Emeriti friend Abo and find out more about the life of the Bedouin people. We will meet Abo’s pet falcon who is treated with love and respect by his owner (falcons are no longer used for hunting in the UAE). The falcon is usually a willing accomplice in any souvenir photos you may wish to take.
At a neighbouring tent, we will learn more about the national dress of the country and take a look at some traditional abaya dresses and candour (the all-white robes worn by Arab men).
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Sharjah Calligraphy Museum, Sharjah United Arab Emirates
In the Islamic world, calligraphy is a highly revered art form. So, we will admire some beautiful artwork at the Calligraphy Museum before learning how to write your name in Arabic, fancy pen-in-hand.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Coffee museum, 69 69 St What3words: ///roses.laying.lashed, Dubai United Arab Emirates
Time for another drink and this time our coffee will come with a side of history as we visit the Coffee Museum to learn about local coffee customs. We will sample some delightful Arab blends in the cute café before moving on to soak up a little more culture before the shopping extravaganza commences.
The local art gallery we are visiting is nestled in a beautiful old Persian house, displaying many unique local ceramics, glassware, and sculptures as well as paintings and photography. The gallery resembles a typical home of the area, featuring a pretty courtyard with rooms all around it. Every room and wall are carefully curated with pieces of art and furniture, with works by both established and upcoming artists hanging side-by-side.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Al Fahidi Fort, Dubai - Al Fahidi - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Visit the oldest existing building in Dubai, Al Fahidi Fort, which dates back to 1787 and has recently been converted into a museum where visitors can learn more about life of Dubai before the skyscrapers arrived.
Recharge your batteries and stop for a quick street food bite (doner kabab or falafel sandwich).
Time to indulge in Dubai’s favourite pastime now with a spot of shopping. Our first souk stop will be the vibrant textile souk, not far from the creek, where we will enter a world of multicoloured cashmere, fine silks, and the art of bartering for your treasures. The textile souk is very camera-friendly and well worth a visit, even if you have no desire to purchase a textile-themed souvenir to take home.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: The Old Town, Dubai - Downtown Dubai - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
At the nearby Abra stop, we will take a water taxi to the other side of the creek where a delicious surprise awaits us. Luscious dates covered in creamy white chocolate made from camel milk, a local delicacy and a must-try while you are visiting the old town.
You will probably be able to smell our next stop before you see it. At the spice souk, we will learn about the different spices used in Arabic, Iranian, and Indian cuisine and we will, of course, stop to take some photos and shop if you wish.
Our final stop on our cultural and commercial journey will be the largest gold souk in the Middle East, a fascinating place that should be number one on every tourist’s itinerary. A feast for the eyes, the gold souk features incredibly lavish Arabic jewellery and dazzling displays of gold and other stones. Your guide will be on-hand to aid you in the bartering process should you wish to buy anything.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Baniyas Rd - DeiraAl Ras - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
We will end our whirlwind journey through the culture and exotic souks of Dubai at the Al Ras metro station. If you want any hints or tips on what else to do during your trip, be sure to quiz your guide before you go
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Al Fahidi Metro Station, Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Al Ras Metro Station 1, DeiraAl Ras - Dubai - United Arab Emirates
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- For your Urban Adventures, you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Near public transportation
- Local Impact: How you will help the local community by joining this tour: On this tour you meet with some local Emiratis and expats such as Mr. Abdulla, an Arabic calligrapher. Here, you have the chance to learn more about the Arabic language and have your name written in a very decorative Arabic font.
- You also visit Alserkal Art Gallery, which aims to support and promote young artists and designers by showing their artwork.
- By visiting Dubai Museum and paying the entrance fee, this tour helps maintain the museum.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.