David Gareja Private Tour with Picnic in Desert
Majestic semi-desert landscapes,uneven,rugged paths heading to heavenly beautiful mountain panoramic views,mysterious vertical caves carved in sand-store massive some 1500 years ago.ancient wall paintings-speechless witnesses of glorious past of the deserted altars and refectories and diverse desert flowers hanging over yellow rock edges-this is not a full list of what David Gareja can offer.
Equally interesting for those loving both nature and culture/history David Gareja is a real sanctuary of man-made art and nature-made landscapes.
Highlighted spots to visit
-Breathtaking views across David Gareja desert
-Lavra monastery and seven-storeyed cave-city
-Udabno monastery walk
-Fascinating frescoes in the refectories and cells of the complex
-Wild desert flowers
per adult from
7 to 8 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private transportation
- Bottled water
- Lunch - picnic lunch is included
- Certified guide
- Entry/Admission - David Gareja Monastery
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: David Gareja Monastery, Mount Gareja, Udabno Georgia
Meet your private guide/driver at your hotel lobby at 9:00 and after a short introductory talk depart for Georgia's one of the iconic places-David Gareja cave town situated in a semi-desert.
As your first part of journey takes around 1,5 hrs on the way you will learn more about Georgia's rich and fascinating history from the time immemorial up to today as well as enjoy dramatic change of nature-from fertile valleys,pastoral landscapes and endless vineyards to yellow,stark semi-desert meadows,salty lakes and bare mountains.Last part of journey after a comfort stop and panoramic viewpoints in passing rough desert road brings you to the first point of interest-Lavra monastery of the complex built by one of the Assyrian fathers-David in the 6th c. who,drawn to the desolation and purity of Kakheti region, decided to build a monastery there, high up on a bluff overlooking present-day Azerbaijan in the 6th century. For three centuries, it grew slowly – the few devotees who kept up the site lived very simply in small hollows dug into the rock.
Having seen unusual wall carvings-scenes from St. David's life on the entrance door,you will be led to the courtyard where emerges seven-storeyed rock-cut cave town where David and his disciples-Dodo and Lukiane lived.Final passage through arched cave will lead you to the church of Transfiguration,partially carved in rock where David was buried.
After the visit you enjoy picnic lunch in the nature and then get ready for the second part of the tour as we take around 2 hrs walk up to Udabno caves and visit those great frescoes etched on the top of the cliff side.(The walk is quite rough) as well as dramatic views over Azerbaijan.The 9th century wall paintings are especially important because of where they are and what they have endured – nearly one thousand years of graffiti has taken its toll on some of the images, not to mention the wind and sand. Most of the frescoes lie just a few meters within cave walls, unprotected by doors.
After the Udabno monastery visit we come back to out transport and return back to your hotel in Tbilisi
Note:In case of rain due to the safety regulations we will skip Udabno monastery walk and visit 6th-7th c. Ninotsminda Nunnery instead
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Your private driver/guide will pick you up from your hotel in Tbilisi at 9:00
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Make sure you bring your own face mask on tour
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.