Day Tour of Dharamshala, home to the Dalai Lama
Located in the North Indian state of Himachal Pradesh, Dharamshala is home to the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan government-in-exile. Dharamshala also has beautiful tea gardens and its Kangra tea is famous all over the world. On this day-long tour explore the Tibetan quarter of McLeodGanj, visit St. John’s church, walk around the Dal Lake and watch Tibetan artisans at work.
• Church of St. John in the Wilderness
• Norbulingka Institute
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicles
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Local English speaking guide
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: McLeod Ganj, McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala, Kangra District, Himachal Pradesh
You will be picked up in the morning for a tour of Dharamshala with your guide for the day.
First visit McLeodGanj, also known as ‘Little Lhasa’. It is the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile and home to the Dalai Lama. Walk around the town and see the main temple where the Dalai Lama grants an audience to visitors whenever he is in residence. Also take a look at the residence of the Dalai Lama. Next explore the nearby market that is famous for Tibetan handicrafts.
From McLeodGanj go to the Church of St. John in the Wilderness. It is a beautiful church built in the neo-gothic style in 1852. The church has some exquisite Belgian stained glass windows. One of the Viceroys of British India, Lord Elgin, is buried in the grounds of the church.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Dal Lake, Road to Naddi Village from McLeod Ganj, McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala 176219 India
Afterwards, go for a walk around Dal Lake. The lake is a picturesque excursion spot surrounded by Deodar forests. Nearby is a Hindu temple dedicated to Durveshwar Mahadev.
Visit the Tibetan Children's Village, a non-profit charitable organization that takes care of orphans and young refugees from Tibet. The school in the village is mainly focused on quality modern education and an introduction to the heritage of Tibetan Buddhism.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Norbulingka Institute, P.O Sidhpur, Dharamsala 176057 India
After the morning’s tour your guide will take you to a local restaurant where you can take lunch (own expense). After lunch, visit Norbulingka Institute, a center for the preservation of traditional Tibetan art. The Institute has an exhibition hall and you can also watch artisans at work.
At the end of the tour, you will be dropped back at your hotel.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh, India
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Gaggal Airport, Mandi - Pathankot Rd, Kuthman, Himachal Pradesh 176214, India
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Warm clothes in winter and comfortable walking shoes are recommend
- Not recommended for pregnant women and people with heart or back problems.
- The duration of transfers are approximate. The exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.