Day Trip to Debre Libanos Monastery, Ethiopia
Debre Libanos is a monastery in Ethiopia, lying northwest of Addis Ababa in the Semien Shewa Zone of the Oromia Region. Founded in the 13th century by Saint Tekle Haymanot, according to myth, he meditated in a cave for 29 years.
The present name Debre Libanos was given by Zara Yaqob in 1445. During this time Debre Libanos and Hayek Istifanos served as the political center of the church. Of course, it retained its political significance until the Italian second time occupation and use as a shelter for many pilgrimage of Orthodox Christian.
The modern church was built in the 1950 by Emperor Haile Selassie to replace the one which is destroyed by the fascist Italian during their occupation on 20 May 1937 furthermore they shot 297 and 100 young deacons within short period of time.
per adult from
9 to 10 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Bottled water
- All Fees and Taxes
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Portuguese Bridge
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Debre Libanos, Debre Libanos, Oromiya Region
Debre Libanos suffered great destruction during the invasion of Ahmed Gragn when one of his followers, Ura'i Abu Bakr, set it on fire 21 July 1531, despite the attempts of its community to ransom the church. Although the Ichege intervened to protect the Gambos during the reign of Sarsa Dengel the buildings were not completely rebuilt until after the visit of Emperor Iyasu the Great in 1699.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Portuguese Bridge, Near the Blue Nile Water Fall, Debre Libanos Ethiopia
It was actually built at the turn of the 19th century by Ethiopians, albeit in the old Portuguese style. The narrow span makes a pretty picture and the gushing (in the rainy season) cascade just below it is even more impressive.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredAirports
- Bole Airport, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.