Day Trip to Kanchipuram Temple City from Chennai
Enjoy private day trip to Kanchipuram (Kancheepuram) is a spectacular temple city known as city of thousand temples which reflects the Glorious Traditions of South India with its noted temples.
per adult from
7 to 8 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Fixed menu lunch in a local restaurant
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicles for pickup and dropoff centrally located location in Chennai
What's excluded :
- Items not mentioned in inclusions
- Get on to chauffeur driver vehicle with your local English speaking and travel to “The City of Thousand Temples”, Kanchipuram. Temples in kanchipuram are torchbearers of the glorious heritage of the Kanchipuram District and are repositories of the magnificent art forms that evolved over several centuries. Upon your arrival visit the most famous Siva temple, the Ekambareswara where Lord Shiva is worshipped in the form of Earth Linga and its 11 storey structure temple tower which is adorned with beautiful sculptures is one of the tallest temple tower in South India. Next visit temple dedicated to Siva, the Kailasanathar. The temple was built by the Pallava Dynasty during the first quarter of the eight century. The architecture of this temple resembles the shore temple at Mamallapuram The walls and vimaanam of this temple are filled with great sculptures, and paintings. There are 58 other small shrines which are situated around the main shrine. The centre of attraction in Vishnu Kanchi is the temple of Varadarajaswamy (Sri Varadaraja Perumal Temple) situated on the top of Hastigiri or Elephant Hill. The sculptural beauty of the pillars is amazing. Ornamental rings carved out of single stone at the Four Corners of the mandapam in the form of a chain are a delightful spectacle.
Your guide will be more willing to take you to other important temples if you express desire in visiting them, time permitting, of course. Next visit Kanchi Kudi, a 90-year-old house, authentic in old-style architecture and functionality. It affords a glimpse of the life of an agricultural family in a small town - the master's room, room for the women and children, room for the gods, open-to-sky courtyards, Verandahs, the backyard with agricultural implements. While temples and monuments index the cultural life of a city, the real soul of a place is to be found in its people and their homes. The food court at Kachi Kudi offers hygienically prepared South Indian lunch. Today, apart from its temples, this small town is also known for its thriving handloom industry. Kancheepuram town is also known as Silk City since the main profession of the people is weaving silk sarees. The silk weavers of Kanchi settled more than 400 years ago and have given it an enviable reputation as the producer of the best silk sarees in the country. The Kanchipuram Silk Saree is hand-woven with dyed silk yarn with interleaved designs made with 'Zari' - a Silk thread twisted with a thin Silver wire and then gilded with pure Gold. Technically, the silk thread used for weaving Kanchipuram Sarees is made up of three single threads twisted together. Woven from pure mulberry silk and have an enviable reputation for texture, lustre, durability and finish. However, the designs on the Saree itself are what bring it the fame. After the visit travel back with guide to your pick up location in Chennai where your tour concludes.
Departure Point :Departs from your Chennai hotel
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Dress code is smart casual
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.