Day Trip to the Exotic Melka Kunture And Tiya Including Adadi Mariam monastery
• Heading south-west on the Jimma road, before turning due south on to the Butajira Road, you find the most important Neolithic site in Ethiopia which is called Melka Kunture. You will also visit the museum at the site.
• Then heading 5 Kms further on the Butajira road and visit the beautiful rock hewn church of Adadi Mariam, which is contemporaneous with those of rocky hewn churches of Lalibela. At last, you set out to Tiya, registered by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. where you can see the northernmost example of a peculiar type of engraved, standing stellae which stretches across parts of southern Ethiopia.
Note: The price is considering with group but if other people not sign up we'll take one person alone.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Lunch, including a bottle of water and hot drinks
- Ground transportation including a car, a driver and fuel
- Accompanying English speaking guide
- Local tour guides
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Pickup and drop-off at any location in Addis Ababa
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Melka Kunture
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal expenses
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Melka Kunture, Turn West 100m South Of Awash River Bridge And Drive 1 Km., Addis Ababa Ethiopia
• The trip starts and ends in Addis Ababa! You will be picked up from your hotel. Accompanied by a tour guide and a driver you head toward south-west on the Jimma road, before turning due south on to the Butajira Road.
• Melka Kunture lies near the Awash River Gorge and is one of the most important Neolithic sites in Ethiopia. Melka Kunture is the site where Hand axes and other tools were excavated and has a museum on the premises where one could take a lovely tour.
• You then head towards the mystical Rock Hewn Church of Adadi Mariam which is contemporaneous with those of Lalibela – in fact local tradition ascribes it to King Lalibela who is said to have had it built on his visit to Mount Zuqwala in 1106. You will have a lovely picnic lunch near the Awash River Gorge.
• At last you will visit Tiya, registered by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, where we can see the northernmost example of a peculiar type of engraved, standing stellae. These stellae are believed to have been erected between the 12th and 14th centuries and are almost certainly grave markers – recent excavations at Tiya have revealed the remains of young people of both sexes, buried on the site.
Duration: 12 hours
Departure Point :Addis Ababa
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Addis Ababa
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 12 years
- This is group shared tour activity
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.