Day-Trip to the Stone City of Perperikon from Plovdiv
The Stone City of Perperikon is one of the most fascinating archeological complexes in Bulgaria. Our tour gives you a first-hand account of its excavation from one of the archeologists who discovered it.
First inhabited in the 6th millennium BC, it grew into a prolific city under the rulership of the ancient Thracians. It was continuously inhabited by many cultures over the centuries, until its eventual destruction at the hands of the invading Ottoman turks. The stone city was rediscovered and excavated at the turn of the century, and it is now open to the public. Visitors can walk through its very streets and see the remains of tombs, buildinds, forts and sacred structures belonging to multiple time periods.
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private transportation
- Tour guide
What's excluded :
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Perperikon
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Perperikon, 10 miles from the town of Kurdzhali Bulgaria
The ancient Thracian city of Perperikon is the largest megalith ensemble on the Balkan peninsula and known worldwide as the Bulgarian Machu Picchu.
Located atop a tall hill in the Eastern Rhodope mountains and carved into its rocky cliffs, Perperikon is built in a place that was believed to be sacred. Archeological findings show that it was inhabited as early as the 6th millennium BC, during the Neolithic era, and it was likely used as a sanctum.
This archeological complex has been razed to the ground and rebuilt many times over the ages, and as a result it now resembles a patchwork of several eras, its oldest sections being 8000 years old. You’ll have the chance to walk through its streets and see Thracian, Roman, Byzantine and Medieval Bulgarian buildings up close and learn about its long and complicated history.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up from any hotel in Plovdiv, Bulgaria.If you would like a pick up from any location within Bulgaria, you can take advantage of ourtransportation services (fees are calculated based on the distance to Plovdiv).
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 16 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- Not recommended for travellers with mobility issues
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.