Day trip to Tiruvannamalai Temple and Sri Ramana Ashram from Pondicherry
On this day excursion from Pondicherry, visit the largest Shiva temple in the world. The temple is situated in the town of Thiruvannamalai, about 60 miles from Pondicherry. After a tour of the temple, visit the nearby Ashram (monastery) of the Saint and Philosopher, Sri Ramana Maharshi, who lived here until his death in 1950.
• Drive through the South Indian countryside
• Visit to Arunachaleswarar Temple, the largest Shiva temple in the world
• Visit to Sri Ramana Maharshi Ashram
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transport by private air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Local English speaking guide
- 02 bottles of mineral water per person
What's excluded :
- Food or drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Girivalam, Arunachaleswarar Temple, Tiruvannamalai Temple road, Tiruvannamalai India
You will be picked up from your hotel in the morning for the two-hour drive to the town of Thiruvannamalai, situated 60 miles away from Pondicherry.
Visit the 9th century Arunachaleswarar temple that is dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva. Besides being the largest temple in the world dedicated to Shiva, the temple also has the distinction of having a 216 feet high tower, the second tallest temple tower in the world. The temple complex is spread over an area of 25 acres and has several pillared halls, including a hall with a thousand pillars.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Sri Ramana Ashram, Chengam Road M, Thiruvannamalai India
Next visit the Ashram of Sri Ramana Maharshi which is situated at the foot of the Arunachala hills, outside the town. You can also visit the cave on the Arunagiri slope, where the saint is said to have meditated. Amongst the early visitors to the Ashram were the British writers Paul Brunton in 1931 and Somerset Maugham in 1938. The latter used Sri Ramana Maharshi as the model for the character of Shri Ganesha in his novel, The Razor’s Edge.
After the Ashram visit, enjoy lunch (own expense) at a local restaurant.
After lunch you will be driven back to Pondicherry and dropped off at your hotel.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Pondicherry, Pondicherry, Union Territory of Pondicherry
Traveler pickup is offered
We may pick up travelers from city center hotels / fixed point wiithin city limits. In case pick up is outside central points extra cost shall applicable subject to distance applicable.Airports
- Pondicherry Airport, India
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant women and people with back problems.
- Consider wearing comfortable clothes and walking shoes.
- Temple visit timings are 06:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon in the morning and from 04:00 - 09:30 p.m. in the evening.
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.