Day Trip to Tiya, Adadi Mariam and Melka Kunture
Tiya, Adadi Mariam and Melka Kunture offer tourists a chance to visit archeological sites, the underground church, UNESCO registered stelae site, 12th-century history, and culture altogether.
per adult from
7 to 10 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Tiya World Heritage Site
- Entry/Admission - Adadi Maryam
- Entry/Admission - Melka Kunture
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Tiya World Heritage Site, Tiya Ethiopia
Tiya - where you can see the northernmost example of a peculiar type of engraved, standing stelae which stretch across parts of southern Ethiopia. These stelae are believed to have been erected between the 12th and 14th centuries and are almost certainly grave markers. Recent excavations at Tiya have revealed the remains of young people of both sexes, aged 18 - 30 and buried in fetal positions. Tiya is classified as a World Heritage Site. At some stage today you take a picnic lunch, perhaps near the Awash River Gorge.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Adadi Maryam, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Adadi Mariam- About 5 km further from Melka Kunture on the Butajira Road, is the rock-hewn church of Adadi Mariam, contemporaneous with those of Lalibela. Local tradition ascribes it to King Lalibela who is said to have had it built on his visit to Mount Zuqwala in 1106. Damaged during the wars with Ahmed Gragn in the 16th century, it fell into disuse and was only reopened in the time of Menelik II. It is today in regular use.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Melka Kunture, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Melka Konture - lies near the Awash River Gorge and is one of the most important Neolithic sites in Ethiopia. Hand axes and various other implements have been found here.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offeredAirports
- Bole Airport, Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.