Day Trip to Transfagarasan Road and Dracula's Fortress Poienari from Bucharest
Discover the wildest nature and highest mountains in Romania: This tour will take you on a spectacular road with stops at Fagaras Fortress, Poienari Fortress, Vidraru Dam and Balea Lake! Put on some warm clothes and escape the city to enjoy a day of fresh air and stunning views.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Tour escort/host
- Transport by air-conditioned car/minivan
- Hotel pickup (if option selected) from hotels in Bucharest only
- Fuel surcharge
- Parking Fees
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees
- Entry/Admission - Fagaras Fortress
- Entry/Admission - Le Lac Balea
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Fagaras Fortress, Mihai Viteazul no. 1, Fagaras 505200 Romania
Depart from Bucharest and travel towards Fagaras Town, a former political-administrative center. The main attraction here is Fagaras Fortress. Surrounded by a moat, this is the only fortress of its kind in Romania. In the early seventeenth century, the city became the princely residence of Michael the Brave. From 1948 until 1960 the castle was used as a prison. In one of its towers “The Iron Lady” was found; a medieval torture device. The castle now hosts Fagaras Country Museum, which dedicated to local history and the municipal library.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Le Lac Balea, Fagaras Mountains Romania
Your tour continues across the Land of Fagaras and follows the alpine road that passes through the Fagaras Mountains (the highest mountain range in Romania with Moldoveanu peak standing at 2544 meters). From Cartisoara Village the tour will follow the Transfagarasan road along Balea Valley and pausing on the road near the glacial lake, Balea Lake, to admire the breathtaking views.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Vidraru Dam, Arges River between Fruntii Mountains and Ghitu Mountains, Curtea de Arges 117040 Romania
After that the tour continues through the longest road tunnel in Romania (887 m length) to reach Vidraru Dam and Vidraru Lake.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Poienari Castle, Transfagarasan On the Transfagarasn Road, just after you pass the village Corbeni., Arefu 117040 Romania
The tour then takes you to the ruins of Poienari Castle: The legend says that Vlad Tepes, during 1462, after being chased and cornered by the army of Mehmet II “al Fatih”, retreated with some of his soldiers to the Poienari fortress. There are over 1450 steps to climb on foot to reach Poenari Fortress.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We offer pick-up from any hotel, hostel, guest house or apartment in Bucharest.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 4 years
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately. On Transfagarasan and Balea Lake it is usually cold, even in summer.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.