Derrie Danders: A Self-Guided Riverside and South City Audio Walk
Welcome to the historic city of Derry / Londonderry, and to this walking tour focused on the city’s maritime and industrial heritage. We’ll ramble along the River Foyle from the Peace Bridge to the Craigavon Bridge, before returning to our starting point with a stroll through the city. You’ll see the spot where Scottish settlers left for America and, a little further up the river, the spot where the city’s patron saint Columba left for Scotland. Along the way, you’ll learn how bridges, railways and shirt factories were built as the city came into the industrial age, the role of the city in World War II, and where divided communities still live on either side of the walls that are now called peace lines.
On this tour you’ll also see:
• HMS Ferret, the port where the WWII naval ships that protected convoys and hunted German U-boats were berthed
• The parts of the city that were industrialised first, including what were the world’s largest ship factories in the 1800s
• Some of the city’s most important churches
• The iconic “Hands Across the Divide” sculpture on Craigavon Bridge
• The location of the world’s first independent department store
• The Masonic Hall, the courthouse and the War Memorial
• The former residences of Mrs Cecil Francis Alexander, a famous 19th century hymn writer, and Phil Coulter, a modern songwriter
per adult from
60 to 75 minutes
What's included :
- Lifetime access to this tour in English
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- VoiceMap App for Android and iOS
What's excluded :
- Food and drink
- Smartphone and headphones
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Foyle Embankment, Londonderry BT48, UK
The tour passes by the Foyle Embankment.
Pass By: Peace bridge, Queens quay, Derry Northern Ireland
The tour passes by Peace Bridge
Pass By: Abercorn Place, Abercorn Pl, Londonderry BT48, UK
The tour passes by Abercorn Place
Pass By: St. Columba's Church (Long Tower), 6 Victoria Place, Derry Northern Ireland
The tour passes by St Columba's Church, Long Tower
Pass By: St. Columb's Cathedral, London St. Londonderry, Derry Northern Ireland
The tour passes by St Columb's Cathedral.
Pass By: War Memorial The Diamond, 23 The Diamond, Londonderry BT48 6HP, UK
The tour passes by the War Memorial The Diamond.
Pass By: Shipquay Gate, Shipquay Street, Derry Northern Ireland
The tour passes by Shipquay Gate Derry City Walls
Departure Point :Visit Derry, 1 Waterloo Pl, Londonderry BT48, UK
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/30/2020 - 12/15/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Near public transportation
- Wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- All of VoiceMap's audio tours are self-guided and users must bring their own smartphone and headphones to take the tour. We urge all our users to wear facemasks and carry hand sanitizer with them to ensure they're own protection and the protection of others.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.