Destrehan Plantation and Small Airboat Combo Tour from New Orleans
Experience two types of New Orleans day trips in one excursion, with this 6-hour trip including Destrehan Plantation and a 6-9 passenger airboat swamp tour.
per adult from
6 hours 15 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Destrehan Plantation
- Entry/Admission - Barataria Preserve
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Destrehan Plantation, 13034 River Rd, Destrehan, LA 70047-5202
Get picked up at your hotel in New Orleans to start your combination plantation and swamp tour trip, which lasts a bit more than 6 hours.
The first stop is Destrehan Plantation. Established in 1787 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Destrehan Plantation remains the oldest documented plantation home in the lower Mississippi Valley.
We invite you to travel from the French and Spanish Colonial periods, through the Antebellum grandeur of the sugar barons, to the ravages of the Civil War and the rebirth of reconstruction. You will find yourself immersed in the rich history of Louisiana when French was the language, and the white gold of sugar drove the economy. Family stories of those free and enslaved set against the fabric of history will intrigue every visitor to the site.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Barataria Preserve, Marrero, LA
Next, enjoy an airboat swamp tour in a smaller boat for a more personalized experience. An airboat swamp tour is a high speed adventure that is part tour and part ride, and it's only 35 minutes from New Orleans.
You will experience the best of both: a swamp tour and an airboat ride. You will travel at high speeds in the airboat then slow down and stop for pictures. Along the way, you will get a personal tour by your local captain. The airboats have stadium seating, so that the person in front of you does not obstruct your view. So every airboat seat is great for experiencing the tour and viewing the wildlife.
Yes, gators will get close, real close. So close that you will be able to look into those reptilian eyes. Alligators do hibernate in the colder months, but the experienced captains know where to look for them. On average, during the winter, you have better than a 50/50 chance of seeing a gator. In the warmer months, you will see a gator. Every tour is unique and you never know what will be around the next corner.
The area toured is a combination of swamp, marsh and lake. So you may see anything from a bald eagle to a pelican to osprey to an owl. The airboats are driven by a 454 Chevy Engine that will produce speeds of up to 35 miles an hour. They are propelled by a huge fan that will blow air from the back of the boat in excess of 200 miles an hour. These tours are truly a blast! They ride in inches of water and go where traditional boats cannot go. The boats were designed to take you to inaccessible areas of the swamp, places that you cannot reach by foot or car. It is a unique experience.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
8:15 am from your New Orleans Hotel. Pickup will be between 8:15 am and 8:45 am.
Departure Time :8:15 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.