Discover the ancient hospital of Santa Maria della Scala
During your visit in Santa Maria della Scala you will discover the history of this immense hospital located in front of the Cathedral, founded between the 9th and 11th centuries, which was the hospital of Siena until the nineties of the 20th century. You will begin your visit in the Old Sacristy, where you will admire beautiful frescoes and the precious relics that attracted pilgrims to visit this building. The hall “Sala del Pellegrinaio” was the place that welcomed pilgrims and afterwards became a hospital ward. The frescoes in this room tell the history of the construction of the Hospital and its activities and show the objects that were used, the clothes that people wore and the architecture of the hospital. The guide will lead you then to discover the original marbles of Fonte Gaia made in the 15th century, in Pz del Campo there is a 19th-century copy.
Finally, you will visit the Oratory, where the St.Catherine rested and prayed after having dedicated herself to works of charity.
per adult from
What's included :
- Visit of the Old Sacristy, Pilgrim’s Hall, Chapel of the Mantle, Fonte Gaia, Oratory of St Catherine
- 2 hours private guided tour
What's excluded :
- Santa Maria della Scala museum ticket (ca. 9 euros per adults, discounts for groups and families)
- Entry/Admission - Complesso Museale Santa Maria della Scala
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Complesso Museale Santa Maria della Scala, Piazza del Duomo 1, 53100, Siena Italy
Our local guide tour will meet you in front of the ticket office in Piazza Duomo 1 and will accompany you through the beautiful museum of Santa Maria della Scala. You will admire many different artworks and learn how this ancient hospital worked and why it became so important during the Middle Ages.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Piazza del Duomo, 1, 53100 Siena SI, Italy
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 2/25/2020 - 12/31/2020
2/25/2021 - 12/31/2021
Monday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 05:00 PM Monday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- In case of wheelchairs and pushchairs please let us know in advance, so that we can organize the tour in the best possible way
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.