Discover the Ancient Undergrounds of Rome with an Expert Archaeologist
During this "off the beaten track" experience, you will discover a completely unknown area of Rome. You will walk through medieval dungeons, admire 1st Century AD Roman frescoes and visit ancient cemeteries where skeletons are still perfectly preserved! Most of these underground sites are closed to the public which makes the experience even more unique and exciting.
Finally, you will enjoy this exclusive tour with a private tour guide and only your party. Complimentary hotel pickup will make it hassle-free.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Exclusive access to the undergrounds of Trastevere and Tiber island
- Expert archaeologist that will guide you through the tunnels and cemeteries
- Hotel pickup and transfer to meeting point with air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Hotel drop-off
- Optional gratuities
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Trastevere, 00153 Rome Italy
• Forget about the most popular sites in Rome, such as: Colosseum, Vatican and Trevi fountain. We will take you to visit the dungeons of ancient churches in Trastevere (one of the most ancient neighborhoods of Rome), where the first Christians gathered to pray and where you can admire ancient underground cemeteries that are unknown to most of the locals in Rome!
• The Roman neighborhood known as “Trastevere” refers, literally, to: "the area across the Tiber.” In ancient times, this was the district where Jews and free slaves lived.
• Firstly, we will visit the undergrounds of St. Nicholas church. This delightful church, was built in the 10th century on the foundations of three Roman temples dating back to more than 2000 years ago! They were at the center of a fruit and vegetable market of ancient Rome. Most of these original temples, including their marble columns, have been incorporated into the structure of St. Nicholas church and are still perfectly visible. Going down into the basement we will make a real journey through time up to the 3rd Century BC through a crypt used for exorcisms, passing by piles of ancient fragments of human bones and cemeteries.
At the end of the path, your guide will show you the ancient prisons, where the legend tells that St. Nicholas was imprisoned here.
• We will then proceed our journey by discovering the hidden gems of Trastevere, including the oldest synagogue in Rome (Jewish temple). Our visit will take us to several unusual churches, and will wind through the city’s ancient alleyways.
• Most of these sites are not accessible unless you go with a licensed archaeologist that has a special permission to access the undergrounds. Don't miss the opportunity to explore this other part of Rome!
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Isola Tiberina, Rome Italy
You will cross the bridge from St. Nicholas church through the Tiber island all the way to Trastevere.
The Tiber Island has always been a place of mystery, wrapped in legend, surrounded by the river and forever tied to the origins of Rome. Since prehistoric times, the island has been the easiest point of crossing the river towards the commercial roads to the north and south of Rome and it was certainly not by chance that the first and most ancient of the city’s river ports was born right in front of it.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We offer pickup service from all accommodation facilities located in the city center. Hotels, B&B's and apartments. Please include, in your reservation, the accommodation name and address.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.