El Calafate City Sightseeing Tour Including Walichu Caves
Get under the skin of El Calafate and see the ancient rock paintings of Patagonia’s earliest settlers on this 3-hour sightseeing tour. Traveling in an air-conditioned coach, drive to the shores of beautiful Lake Argentino to visit the Walichu Caves, home to rock paintings believed to date back 4,000 years. Next, enjoy a panoramic tour of El Calafate Old Town, look for flamingos and other birds on Laguna Nimez, and visit the El Calafate Historical Interpretation Center to learn about the area’s incredible history, geology, peoples and glaciers.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Professional guide
- Use of binoculars at Laguna Nimez
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Entry/Admission - Laguna Nimez Reserva Natural Municipal
- Entry/Admission - El Calafate Historical Interpretation Center
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Walichu Caves, El Calafate Argentina
Relax into your air-conditioned coach or minivan and enjoy the views over the untouched landscapes on route to Walichu Caves. After roughly 30 minutes, arrive at the ancient caves on the shores of Lake Argentino. Marvel at the spectacular milky-blue lake, and follow the trail (own expense) to gaze at the aeons-old rock paintings. Admire the recreated and authentic depictions of humans and animals, and learn from a local guide how they date back around 4,000 years to Paleolithic times and were probably originated created by pre-Tehuelche hunter-gatherers.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Lago Argentino, El Calafate Argentina
Next, drive back to El Calafate for a panoramic sightseeing tour. Drive past the early 20th-century buildings and homes built by its first settlers, as well as the main plaza, church and other landmarks as your guide details the town’s early beginnings.
We will see the Coastal Walk, which is close to the Lago Argentino coast.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Laguna Nimez Reserva Natural Municipal, Av Costanera Presidente Nestor C Kirschner 2075 Av Costanera Presidente Nestor C Kirschner 2075, El Calafate 9405 Argentina
Afterward, continue to Laguna Nimez, the beautiful nearby birdlife reserve. Stroll along the waterside and use the supplied binoculars to admire the flamingoes, swans and other birds on its waters.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: El Calafate Historical Interpretation Center, Brown Esquina Bonarelli zona de chacras, camino a laguna Nimez, El Calafate 9405 Argentina
Finish at the El Calafate Historical Intepretation Center. Explore this informative museum independently (own expense) and uncover the area’s history, wildlife and geology. See the bones of dinosaurs that roamed here millennia ago, and trace the formation of Patagonia’s glaciers and story of the Tehuelche peoples who lived here for centuries before the arrival of colonizers.
Either end your tour here to stay on at the museum cafe or souvenir shop, or finish your trip with a hotel drop-off.
Duration: 40 minutes
Departure Point :El Calafate, El Calafate, Province of Santa Cruz, Patagonia
Traveler pickup is offered
The pick up transfer is only from selected centrally located hotels. If your hotel is outside the geographic area, we will confirm you the closest meeting point. Indicate the name and address of your hotel.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- IMPORTANT: If you wish to cancel your tour, please note that no refund will be granted from the 24th of December to the 02nd of January. All sales are final between those dates.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- It is the passenger's responsibility to wear a protective mask and maintain distance. In case they don't respect the basic safety measures, they will be asked to leave the tour. The capacity of tour will be temporarily reduced to ensure social distancing.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.