El Yunque Rainforest Off the Beaten Path and Bio Bay Kayaking Combo Tour
If you're looking for an active way to experience Puerto Rico's native environment, take advantage of this combo adventure from San Juan! It includes a nature hike in an off the beaten path way that will lead you to amazing natural pools, waterfall and waterslides, followed by a nighttime kayaking tour on the bioluminescent bay. These two natural wonders provide a fascinating look at the island's ecology. You will also enjoy an authentic Puerto Rican lunch between both activities to enhance your cultural experience (food cost not included in tour price).
Please make sure to read the description carefully. Trails used at the El Yunque Rainforest have been modified post hurricane 2017. This is now a moderate to strenuous activity that may not be suitable for everyone.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Certified Tour Guide
- Bottled Water and light snacks
- First aid equipment
- USCG certified lifejackets
- Entry/Admission - El Yunque Rain Forest
- Entry/Admission - Bioluminescent Bay
What's excluded :
- Gratuity for your tour guide is not included, but greatly appreciated.
- Additional fee for pick ups outside of San Juan will apply (Dorado, Bayamon, Rio Grande, Fajardo, Humacao)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: El Yunque Rain Forest, El Yunque National Forest Puerto Rico
Get adventurous, get muddy and off the paved trail! Go on a hike to explore different zones of the rain forest, lesser known to the public, and enjoy beautiful views of the forest, natural pools and Atlantic Ocean during these 4 hours at the Forest. Once we arrive to the skirts of El Yunque we will start with a 25-30 minute journey on a river wading and rock scaling path to the river. Here you will see bamboo trees, rain-forest flowers, and many other beautiful plants and experience various rivers, waterfalls and walk through natural trails. We will make a stop to visit a collecting pool that forms at the base of a small waterfall. Here you will have the opportunity to swim on it’s crystal clear waters, swing from a rope and enjoy the different tones of its deep pools. A glimpse at the first waterfall, great for pictures opportunities!
This portion of the adventure finishes in a pool area, its best kept secret. After a few minutes of hiking and rock climbing to the upper sections (more strenuous), arrive at a natural river where you can swim, cliff jump, enjoy the natural water slides and small waterfalls.
After the hike, we will stop for lunch at a local restaurant (food cost not included) for about an hour to an hour and half.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Bioluminescent Bay, Laguna Grande Las Croabas, Fajardo 00738 Puerto Rico
We will then proceed heading East to join on the guided nighttime bioluminescent bay kayak tour. Experience the mystical mangrove channels leading to Laguna Grande. Look into the water to see the glowing pyrodinium bahamense, microscopic planktons capable of producing natural light at the touch of your hand or paddle (like fireflies). Admire these amazing organisms up close as you paddle on a 2-person kayak through the mangroves for an estimate of 30-minutes, and learn from your eco-tour guide about this fragile and unique ecosystem. Once reached the lagoon, you will have some time to play with the water (from within the kayak) and receive more information, before we head back to the mangrove channels for another kayaking journey of approximately 30 minutes .
Enjoy provided snacks at the end of the kayak tour, before returning to San Juan.
Please note: The bio bay is an unpredictable natural phenomenon that may be influenced by multiple factors. Bioluminoscity level can vary from very visible to minimum or none without any previous notice. Full Moon phase may also affect the visibility of the bioluminescence. In the event of this happening alternate methods such as the use of a tarp will be incorporated in order to appreciate it.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Complimentary pick up in selected areas of San Juan: Old San Juan, Condado, Isla Verde, Miramar and Ocean Park and Calle Loiza. Meeting point available by PR-3 in Rio Grade, Luquillo and Fajardo.Exact pick up time will be provided the day prior to the tour.Ports
- Panamerican Pier
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This is a moderate to strenuous activity.
- Participants must be physically capable of walking thru rocky, uneven and muddy surfaces without assisatance.
- Participants must be capable of paddling a two person kayak in a coordinated matter and be able to sit on the same position for about 2 hours.
- Hiking shoes or tennis with a good grip are required. Bring also water shoes as they will be useful during portions of the tour.
- Maximum weight for Glass Bottom kayaks is 185-190 lbs (84-86 kg). Participants weighting up to 260 lbs need to notify at moment of booking in order to have assigned a regular kayak. Failure to notify correctly may result in person(s) not being able to participate on bio bay tour, no refunds will be issued due to this.
- Not recommended for pregnant women past their first trimester or for persons with back or knee problems, heart complaints, recent surgeries or injuries or other serious medical conditions.
- Children must be 7 years or older to participate.
- We strongly suggest to have a good breakfast before departing on this tour (next opportunity to eat will be around 3:00pm)
- Due to the strict weight restriction all participants are subject to be weighted prior to arriving to the tour site. No cancellations or refunds will be issued if a person neglects to inform correct weight, and is not able to participate of the tour.
- Participants cannot be afraid of the dark as you will be kayaking thru pitch black areas during the Bio Bay portion of the tour.
- You will get wet, it is recommended that you wear bathing suit underneath, bring a towel and extra clothes for after the tour.
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Due to safety reasons participants must be able to understand English or Spanish.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Use of lifejacket is mandatory once participating on the water related activities.
- Once you begin the Rainforest tour, you must finish it all the way up to the second stop and return back with the group.
- Transportation available for those staying outside of San Juan for an additional fee; please call the local tour operator for a quote.
- Estimated tour duration of 12 hours includes driving and lunch time.
- The bio bay is an unpredictable natural phenomenon that may be influenced by multiple factors. Bioluminoscity level can vary from very visible to minimum or none without any previous notice. Full Moon phase may also affect the visibility of the bioluminescence. In the event of this happening alternate methods such as the use of a tarp will be incorporated in order to appreciate it.
- Please travel light and only bring the necessary to the tour. Leave behind electronic devices, any important documentation like passport, large sums of cash or credit cards. Cell phones require waterproof case.
- GLASS BOTTOM KAYAKS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON TUESDAYS due to maintenance, instead tour will be conducted on Regular Kayaks, no refunds will be issued due to this.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.