Elite Volcano Hike From Hilo
Elite Volcano Hike
Hike down into Kilauea Caldera on the 2 mile Halema’uma’u Trail, and visit aftermath of the historic 2018 eruption along Kilauea’s coastline. Visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park including Kilauea Visitor Center, Sulphur Banks, the Kilauea Iki Overlook, Volcano House and more. Small-group tour includes deli-style lunch included.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Entry/Admission - Volcano House
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: MacKenzie State Park, Hi-137, Island of Hawaii, HI 96778
Head out of Hilo to the Puna Coast, location of the historic 2018 eruption, first stop is Mackenzie State Recreation Area. The highway here was closed by the marching 40 foot tall wall of crumbly a’a lava as it continued to the sea. Take a hike along the now-closed highway, and then follow the lava flow through the pine forest to the altered coastline and cliffs overlooking the new black sand beach.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Volcano National Park, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, HI
Next travel to the crown jewel of the Big Island, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Briefly visit the Kilauea Iki Overlook before heading off on foot down the paved road to Keanakakoi. Check out the activity here from the historic 2018 eruption which buckled the road and caused racks and sinkholes. You’ll get a birds-eye view of the Kilauea Caldera and the enormous Halema’uma’u Crater, along with views of the trail you will take into the Caldera. This trail has been used to hike into the caldera since being established in 1846. Mark Twain was once rescued by native guide Alex Lancaster using this trail. It’s about 2 miles roundtrip taking you past the famous Sulphur Banks, through ancient forests of tree ferns, some as old as 1,000 years. Look for native birds, such as the yellow ‘amakihi and the red ‘apapane. Huge boulders came to rest here during ancient rock slides and eruptions. Look for marks left by previous visitors such as Benjamin Boyd, a Scot, and John Webster, a California artist, from back in 1851. Reaching the floor of Kilauea Calder there is an incredible rock slide to your left, evidence of the 2018 eruption, and Halema’uma’u Crater before you. The Crater increased in size during the eruption with the lava lake draining out of it leaving behind an enormous 1,000 foot deep pit.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Isaac Hale Beach Park, 13-101 Kalapana Kapoho Beach Road, Pahoa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96778
Isaac Hale Beach Park is next. Lava floes encircled this popular Park miraculously sparing the infrastructure while completely destroying everything around it. Be sure to check out the boat launch ramp, now sitting in a pond cut off from the ocean by a natural berm of lava. Don’t forget to look for steam still rising from the cooling lava as you drive across it, along with the infamous “Fissure 8” erupting in the heart of Lelani Estates subdivision. Picnic-style lunch is served here at the Park weather permitting.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Volcano House, 1 Crater Rim Drive, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI 96718, USA
Return to civilization at Volcano House for some beautiful views.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please contact us for your pick up location and time.Airports
- Hilo Intl Airport, 2450 Kekuanaoa St, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 72 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.