Endangered Native Habitats
Get your binoculars ready for a small group adventure tour to Mauna Kea Forest Preserve for fantastic bird-watching opportunities. Visit both rainforest and dry forest habitats for a great introduction to Hawaii's wide variety of bird species, with guidance from an expert local guide and bird enthusiast.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Interpretative Naturalist Guide
- Filtered water
- Raingear, day packs and walking sticks
- Continental breakfast, lunch and beverages
- Local taxes
- Entry/Admission - Hawaii Forest and Trail
- Entry/Admission - Mauna Kea
- Entry/Admission - Kipuka Puaulu (Bird Park) Trail
- Entry/Admission - Saddle Road
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hawaii Forest and Trail, 73-5593A Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740-2613
Travelers can shop in our retail space at our Kona headquarters as well use our bathroom facilities and enjoy complimentary coffee and water.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Mauna Kea, Island of Hawaii, HI
Explore the sub-alpine dry forest of Puu La'au. One of two places on the tour that represent Hawaii before human contact. A place where plants and birds found nowhere else on earth showcase the evolutionary epic of the islands
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Kipuka Puaulu (Bird Park) Trail, Strip Road, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, HI 96785
Explore the cloud mist rain forest of Kipuka. One of two places on the tour that represent Hawaii before human contact. A place where plants and birds found nowhere else on earth showcase the evolutionary epic of the islands
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Saddle Road, Hawaii Highway 200, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI
Enjoy your scenic ride on the way to the two rare habitats alone Saddle Road. Your tour guide will have an immense amount of knowledge about Hawaiian culture and will educate you of things you see as well as answers any questions that may arise.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters, 73-5593 A, Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740, USA
Traveler pickup is offered
We also pick up from the following: Queens' Market Place, 69-201 Waikoloa Beach Dr, Waikoloa Village, HI 96738Lava Java, 68-1845 Waikoloa Rd, Waikoloa Village, HI 96738Kilohana Hunters Station (Old Saddle Road, MM 43.5)
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Guests should wear sturdy closed-toe walking shoes, long pants, and bring a light jacket
- This tour has a maximum of 9 passengers per van
- This tour requires a minimum number of passengers to operate. There is a possibility that the tour may be canceled after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be provided the option to take the tour on an alternative date or be refunded in full. It will be necessary for you to call 48 hours prior to your departure date to reconfirm (contact details provided on your confirmation voucher).
- Not recommended for child aged 7 and under
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- We have developed an approach that introduces a new standard of cleanliness and disinfection to ensure our guests enjoy an even cleaner and safer experience. Implementing strict protocols and using the latest disinfection technology, updated continuously to current State and Federal Guidelines.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.