Expert walking tour: Romania beyond the headlines
Romania’s emergence as a frontier of the West, as it is today, makes it part of the western history. That is why a visitor walking through Bucharest centre will give you the chance to discover a cultural, political and historical puzzle originating in the influence of the Ottoman empire, followed by the successive advances and retreats of Eastern and Western allegiances and finally ending in half century of communism.
You will be surprised by the stories of the Romanian kings, dictators and aristocratic families originating in the darkness of history.
This tour is an incredible way to get under the skin of a country, with less emphasis on ordinary tourism, you’ll go off the beaten track and have a former journalist or academic accompanying you out along the way. You don’t need to be an expert in politics or foreign affairs to join. Everyone has an enquiring mind. It really is more like experiencing a kind of documentary than going on a typical group tour.
per adult from
2 to 3 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Bottled water
- English and French speaking expert guide
- small surprise
- welcome coffee
- photos along the route
What's excluded :
- Gratuities for your local expert guide
- Tickets to museums or other sights
- Entry/Admission - Biserica Sfantul Anton - Curtea Veche
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Palatul Regal/Royal Palace, Calea Victoriei 49-53, Bucharest Romania
That is the place where communism collapsed in Romania, where the Royal Family enjoyed the last demonstration of support before being expelled by the new soviet-backed rulers and where Romania left the Axis and joined the Allied forces in the fight against Nazism.
Stop At: Victoriei Street, Bucharest Romania
You will explore the early history of the city by walking on its main avenue, linking the southern official residence of the early rulers to the other northern extreme of the historical city, currently Piata Victoriei.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Victoriei Street, Bucharest Romania
Until after World War 1 it was the northern limit of the city. Then, all the area beyond became the new preferred ground for interwar new buildings, airshows, automobile races and…parties. Romanian royalty, with its complicated life was part of the story.Then, when communists took over the new elite accommodated itself in the luxurious buildings confiscated from the rich. They enjoyed their own social events and shared their life in an almost exclusive district, conceived mainly for the use of the leaders of the working class.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Biserica Sfantul Anton - Curtea Veche, Strada Franceza nr. 33 Sector 3, Bucharest 030103 Romania
The Old Princely Court Museum (Curtea Veche) houses the oldest historical testimonies of Bucharest, dating from the 13th century.
Duration: 5 minutes
Departure Point :WINESTONE VICTORIEI 37, Calea Victoriei 37B, București 010061, Romania
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 12/9/2019 - 12/28/2021
Monday: 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM Tuesday: 09:30 AM - 06:00 PM Wednesday: 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM Thursday: 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM Friday: 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM Saturday: 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM Sunday: 09:00 AM - 06:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.