Far West of Crete Private Tour
Discover the “authentic Crete” that most tourists don’t see by joining us on an amazing road trip to Sfakia, Crete’s most remote and rugged region, home to the impressive White Mountains (being really white due to snow until early summer!)
Experience this epic Crete tour, full of activities for the whole family, including hiking in deep gorges, hands-on cooking, sampling of local tastes, amazing storytelling and towering mountains, and endless blue sea views of unparalleled beauty.
Take a local breakfast in a family-owned cheese and yogurt factory.
Hike through stunning Imbros Gorge, once the hidden pathway for ANZAC soldiers.
Learn about the Cretan herbs’ therapeutic qualities and try some of their concoctions in a ‘herbal sanctuary.”
Participate in a hands-on cooking class and enjoy a Cretan lunch of traditional dishes from farm to table.
Discover a unique local cellar and winery and sample Cretan wines.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Alcoholic Beverages - Local wine (4 glasses wine tasting)
- Lunch - Two-course meal (meat and veggie options)
- Private transportation
- Snacks - Sweets, fruit
- Breakfast - Cheese and yogurt samples
- Soda/Pop - Fresh orange juice for the children
- Entrance ticket to the gorge
- Entry/Admission - Imbros Gorge
- Entry/Admission - Winery Dourakis
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drink, souvenirs & items of a personal nature, tips & gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Chania, Chania, Magnesia Region, Thessaly
Leaving behind us Chania and its Venetian port, we’ll drive you deep into the southern part of the island, the Sfakia region with its memorable scenic routes and the endless wild landscapes.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Sfakia, Sfakia, Chania Prefecture, Crete
Sfakia is the land of the massive Lefka Ori, also known as the White Mountains, famous for Pachnes, its highest peak as well, the numerous gorges, and the endless views to the Libyan Sea. Aside from this astonishing beauty, the land of Sfakia has a million tales to tell you, such as stories about the turbulent but heroic past of brave rebel Sfakians, who fought for freedom.
The first stop of your day tour will be at a family-owned cheese & yogurt small-scale factory, where you’ll take a local breakfast. Learn all about the traditional way of local dairy production by the expert cheesemonger and sample the best local-favorite yogurt on the island!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Askifou, Askifou, Chania Prefecture, Crete
After this light breakfast, you’ll head to Askifou Plateau at an altitude of 730 metres, a natural picture-pretty valley surrounded by the White Mountains. From here, you’ll start your hike into the Imbros Gorge, an outstanding 8-kilometer gorge.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Imbros Gorge, close to Chora Sfakia Start in Impros or Komitades, Crete Greece
During the 2,5 hours approximately easy hike, you’ll have the opportunity to admire amazing geological formations of very narrow passages, capture your best photos with your family and learn about the fauna and flora that you’ll encounter along the way.
Especially for Australian, New Zealander, British, or WWII story lovers, walking through the gorge is almost a pilgrimage, as this gorge was the only escape route in May 1941 by fleeing ANZACs who fought with the allied troops in Crete, and finally, they succeeded in sailing to Egypt. Your guide will have many breathtaking stories to share with you.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: White Mountains (Lefka Ori), Sfakia, Crete Greece
Next, you’ll visit the off-the-beaten-track Kallikratis village, a mountainous village of semi-abandoned settlements located among gorges, ravines, and plateaus, and with a fascinating story to tell. Hear stories about this land that never lived under permanent foreign rule due to its brave residents.
Then, you’ll experience local gastronomy and culture by participating in a hands-on cooking class. Learn about the secrets of Cretan cuisine as you join a Cretan lunch of traditional dishes and local wine from farm to table.
After lunch, learn about the Cretan herbs’ therapeutic qualities, well-known since ancient times, in a ‘herbal sanctuary”. In a little café, meet the owners who distill Cretan herbs and make natural products in a traditional way, giving advice and secrets on how to use Cretan herbs (over 1,800 plant species) while cooking so you give their special taste to your dishes. And yes, you’re going to try some of their concoctions in their shop!
Duration: 3 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: Chania Prefecture, Chania Prefecture, Crete
Moving onto our last stop now, you’ll discover a unique local cellar in one of the best wineries on Crete.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Winery Dourakis, Alikampos, Crete 73007 Greece
This cellar is in itself a setting for a ritualistic experience, and here, you’ll sample four different local wine varieties, finishing up Crete’s far west adventure, in the best way!
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Traveler pickup is offered. Pick up time adjustable upon your request. We will meet you at your hotel lobby. Our guide will be holding a sign with your name.Ports
- Port of Souda, Ormos Soudas, Souda 732 00, Greece
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 2/21/2021 - 8/1/2022
Monday - Sunday: 08:00 AM - 07:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Alcoholic beverages are allowed to participants age 18 or older because of the national alcohol restrictions. Participants under the age 18 are provided non-alcoholic beverages.
- Most travelers can participate
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a hat, sunscreen, and a bottle of water.
- We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.