From the Milpa to Tourism: Farming, Cenote & Ek Balam Pyramids Tour
Discover the fascinating Mayan culture and history in this tour from Merida. Visit Ek Balam to explore the Mesoamerican agricultural system, swim in an amazing cenote, and discover the archaeological site of Ek Balam. Enjoy the perfect balance of culture and nature with this full-day ecotour.
per adult from
12 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private transportation
- Bike tour to the milpa with a local guide.
- Entrance to X'Canché Cenote and access to its facilities.
- Admission fee to Ek Balam's archaeological site.
- Entry/Admission - X'Canche Cenote
- Entry/Admission - Ek Balam
What's excluded :
- Guided tour in Ek Balam's archaeological site.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Ek Balam Village, Ek Balam Village, Yucatan Peninsula
Start with pickup at 6:30 AM and drive to Ek Balam, a village where Mayan is the most-spoken language. Enjoy a delicious breakfast to build your strength, before setting out on a bike ride to explore local farming practices.
Visit a milpa, a Mesoamerican crop growing system, accompanied by a local guide. Taste traditional pozole and sweets made from regional crops, as you learn about the Mesoamerican agricultural system. Enter the k'áax, or jungle, to learn about traditional knowledge of medicinal plants and trees used in the construction of houses.
Duration: 3 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: X'Canche Cenote, Near Mayan ruins of Ek Balam, Ek Balam Village Mexico
Afterwards, start the 2-kilometer journey by bicycle or tuk-tuk through the jungle to get to Cenote X’Canché. Refresh yourself in the cool waters and appreciate the biodiversity around the crystal clear cenote. Before leaving, enjoy a traditional Yucatecan lunch at the cooperative’s restaurant.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: 20-minute drive from Valladolid on highway 295, direction Tizimin, Ek Balam Village Mexico
The final stop on the tour is at the Ek Balam archeological site, famous for its stunning Mayan architecture and its importance in pre-Hispanic times. Admire the incredible views from the top of the pyramids.
Return to Merida, where you’ll be dropped off at approximately 7 PM.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.