Full-Day Private Tour of San Gimignano and Volterra
• Experience for your private group.
Dedicate one day to the magnificent cities of San Gimignano and Volterra, and explore the history of the Tuscan hills on a private tour from Florence. A succession of winding roads cross vineyards and olive groves, to reveal the incredible medieval city of San Gimignano which offers breathtaking views of the Tuscan countryside from its over 1000 ft of elevation. Discover the Italian Etruscan heritage in Volterra, where ancient tombs, Roman ruins and squares lined with bricks intertwine with lively alabaster shops.
• 8-hrs Full-Day private tour of hill town trip from Florence.
• Hotel pick-up and drop-off at your Hotel or address provided.
• Travel in a private luxury car or minivan (up to 8 passengers)
• Visit two UNESCO World Heritage sites in a single day.
• Our drivers will happily assist with any questions or requests. They are vastly familiar with Tuscany and will share curiosities and facts, or offer suggestions about the area.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick-up and drop-off at your selected hotel/location (in Downtown Florence)
- Private transportation by Mercedes Minivan, Air-Conditioned
- English-speaking licensed driver
- Panorama view photo stop
- Unlimited cold mineral water
- WiFi on board
What's excluded :
- Private city guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: San Gimignano, San Gimignano, Tuscany
Enjoy views of the scenic, rolling countryside on your 1-hour drive to San Gimignano. The beautiful stronghold of San Gimignano is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Tuscany. It is a treasure of medieval architecture, frozen in time at 1300 AD. Above all, it is famous for its ancient towers, which still stand out from its skyline, earning it the nickname Manhattan of the Middle Ages. Discover the city on your own, with insider tips on where to find the best locally-made gelato or local Vernaccia wine. Visit the historic Piazza Duomo, admire the stunning frescoes and stone work inside the Collegiata Church and Sant’Agostino. Climb to the town’s highest point to take in the distinctive medieval towers, and soak up the colorful atmosphere in the sunny Piazza della Cisterna.
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Piazza della Cisterna, Piazza Della Cisterna, San Gimignano Italy
Piazza della Cisterna dates back to 1287. It is located exactly in the center of the city, at a crossroads between the two main streets of the upper medieval village. While the city’s Piazza del Duomo served both as a religious and political center, Piazza della Cisterna was instead used as a local market and as a stage for social gatherings, parties and tournaments.
Pass By: Collegiata di Santa Maria Assunta - Duomo di San Gimignano, Piazza del Duomo 2, 53037, San Gimignano Italy
The collegiate basilica of Santa Maria Assunta, also known as La Collegiata, is one of the six most beautiful monuments to admire in San Gimignano. It is the main center for Catholic worship in San Gimignano, and home of the parish of the same name. Located in Piazza del Duomo, it is at the top of a wide staircase from which the western side of the square dominates. It was perhaps erected in 1056, and subsequently consecrated in 1148.
Stop At: Volterra, Volterra, Province of Pisa, Tuscany
Continue your journey towards Volterra, stroll through the winding and cobbled streets to reach a remarkable array of historical sites. You will see incredible historical discoveries such as Etruscan tombs built hundreds of years before Christ, elaborate Roman baths and an incredible theater excavated in the rock. Twilight saga fans shouldn't miss Volterra, set of the movie New Moon, where dramatic scenes were shot with the backdrop of stone walls, historic squares and ramparts. Take some time to explore the boutiques and workshops that line the streets, you will be able to see how Alabaster stone is worked by hand in famous works of art from Volterra. Choose the perfect place for lunch, the area has enchanting restaurants and trattorias, or you can arrange a meal at a nearby farm house.
Duration: 4 hours
Pass By: Medici Fortress, 56048, Volterra Italy
It can be seen gigantic at the approach of Volterra, built on the highest shelf of Mount Volterra, it consists of two buildings, the Rocca Antica and the Rocca Nuova, joined together by a double curtain, crowned by a balcony supported by arches the so-called Cammino di Ronda, while inside it forms a large square.
The ancient fortress The Rocca Nuova was built by Lorenzo de Medici on the site where the Palazzo dei Vescovi existed, destroyed by the Florentines in 1472.
Pass By: Palazzo dei Priori, Piazza dei Priori, Volterra Italy
Palazzo dei Priori is located in the namesake piazza. The edifice was built around 1200 by the bishops who ran the city, and it’s the oldest civic building in Tuscany. This marvelous building and main square of the city of Volterra have always been one of the favorite places to visit.
Pass By: Mura di Volterra, Fornelli Italy
The medieval walls of Volterra were built in 1200. The construction started at the turn of the century (during the consular regime) as a process of remodeling and strengthening of the Etruscan wall. It later continued methodically until 1254, the year in which the city of Florence captured Volterra.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
You will be picked up directly at your hotel or address communicated at the time of booking at the exact time of the start of the tour. Departure and pick up time is scheduled at 9:30 am. Upon request, you can change your pickup time (24hours before)
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Departure is at 9:30am. Pick-up time can be changed upon request.
- A confirmation is appreciated the day before the appointment by e-mailing or via iMessage or WhatsApp.
- This tour/experience is for a maximum of 8 travelers (your private party). Should your group exceed this size, you can make two reservations.
- In case of rain the umbrellas are provided by your driver.
- You will be picked up directly at your hotel or address provided at the time of booking at the exact time of the start of the tour.
- This is a private tour/experience. Only your group will participate
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.