Full-day Rila Monastery, Stob Pyramids and St Ivan Rilski Cave from Sofia
Explore the picturesque Bulgarian countryside, visiting three famous Bulgarian attractions within a day tour from Sofia! Spend the morning in the Rila Monastery, one of the country’s most famous UNESCO World Heritage sites, a "must see" for anyone visiting Bulgaria. Discover the centuries old forests of the Rila Mountains on a scenic walk to the cave of St. Ivan Rilski (St. John of Rila), where the founder of the monastery lived as an anchorite and explore the amazing rock formations of the Stob’s Pyramids nature phenomenon. Escape the Sofia crowds for a memorable full-day trip led by an expert!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All local taxes
- All transfers
- Guided tour of Rila Monastery
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Licensed mountain guide member of UIMLA
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees in Rila Monastery museums (approx. 5 € if you are interested in visiting any of the museums, the monastery and church itself are free of charge)
- Lunch and beverages (allow 5€ - 6€ for lunch pack or 10€ - 13€ for 3 course lunch in a restaurant)
- Travel insurance
- You will be picked up in the morning from your hotel or address in Sofia for a wonderful journey through the scenic Rila Mountains.
Arrive at the Rila Monastery within two hours and head towards the cave of St. Ivan Rilski on foot. A fairy trail leads us through the centuries old woods of the “Rila Monastery” Nature Park to the cave where the founder of the monastery spent the last years of his life as a hermit. Visit the cave and walk back to the monastery for a guided tour and free time to explore the hidden corners of the 10th century UNESCO site. After lunch the journey continues with a short transfer (approx. 25 min.) to the village of Stob, where you have a short walk to the nature phenomenon of the sandstone Stob’s Pyramids. In the late afternoon, transfer back to Sofia, where we will leave you at your place.
Walking time: approx. 2 hours (cave of St. Ivan Rilski); 1hour (Stob’s Pyramids)
Total ascent / descent: approx. 250 m (cave of St. Ivan Rilski); 100 m. (Stob’s Pyramids)
Bus / car transfers duration: approx. 4.5 hours / 280 km
Departure Point :Your hotel or address in Sofia city
Departure Time :8 am
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Easy to moderate walking tour
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.