Full Day Tantkyi Mountain by Bike, Road and Boat
Biking Irrawaddy’s western banks from Bagan and a new world opens up. Void of any western influences, Tantkyi and its temple on the hill do not only offer stunning views over the region – its religious importance is best observed when cycling with us.
per adult from
10 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- A full day tour with a professional English-speaking guide.
- Transportation by car / mini-van / coach with professional driver.
- Use of a well-maintained bicycle during the tour, complete with helmet
- All applicable taxes and service charges
- Lunch box en route is included (food only)
- Return ferry crossing across the Irrawaddy
What's excluded :
- Bagan Archaeological Zone fees
- Tours, inclusions of any kind and other services that are not outlined in the tour description
- Personal expenses such as meals, drinks, tips and gratuities, shopping, portage fees and optional tours, unless otherwise stated
- Hotel accommodation in the destination of commencement.
- Any airline tickets, visa fees, additional transportation cost from and to the general meeting point
- Supplements for transfers for customers arriving or departing from any airport or resorts located outside the general pick-up and drop-off locations
- Hotel expenses of a personal nature, should an overnight be included: this includes mini-bar consumption, laundry, room service, any telephone or other communication cost not mentioned in the program
- Travel insurance coverage for customers (highly recommendable)
- Across the Irrawaddy, a new world opens up – one that delves deep into the local atmosphere of the country’s pure side. When in need of a break from the Bagan temples and pagodas and wanting to see another side of Bagan, where one wades through a region where the sands of time have been standing still as soon one disembarks, Tantkyi fills that void perfectly. Situated on the western side of the Irrawaddy River, an important means of livelihood for the many local villages, the town and the pagoda bearing the same name have held up its way of living for centuries. From admiring the vistas to gaining a bird’s eye view from the top of new vantage points, it is you and your bicycle for the day in finding yourself time traveling in search for religious relics and authencity around every corner.
An early morning departure commences right at your hotel’s door step; your biking guide for the day welcomes you to a morning of fun-filled pedalling exploration on the other side of the Irrawaddy River. Depending on the location of your accommodation in either New or Old Bagan, the route brings us first for a couple of kilometres to the Ayeyar Jetty, located in Old Bagan. From here, cross the river, with your bikes on board, to the western banks for the start of your cycling adventure back in time. For the following hour, your trail leader navigates over local road and passing local villages towards Tantkyi. Upon arrival at one of these settlements, park your bike and switch over to a car to head up to the top of Tantkyi Mountain. On clear days, the view over the Bagan Plains and even Mount Popa cannot be described in words. On and around the mountain, there are a few Buddhist landmarks which will be included – a meditation cave, a monastery and the well-known Tantkyi Taung Pagoda. The latter spiritual centre for the faithful has adorned the mountain since 1059 AD when King Anawrahta ordered the construction. Over time, expansion commenced and the importance of this octagonal pagoda grew. Unique are the 32 elephant statues, each pointing in different directions at the base.
Enjoy a packed lunch at one of the monastery rest houses near the pagoda before descending back to the village and your bikes. The ride back to the Let Paung Chaung Jetty will be as enjoyable as the morning ride, filled with moments of amazing Myanmar. After crossing the river back towards Old Bagan, the final cycling kilometres to your hotel mark the end of an adventure day in Myanmar’s countryside.
Departure Point :Your booked Hotel in Bagan (conditions apply)
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Your booked Hotel in Bagan (conditions apply)
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour is operated on full private basis with English-speaking guide.
- Return transfers for this excursion apply only / are inclusive for customers staying in and inside Old and New Bagan. Transfers outside these areas, including any accommodation outside this area such as Nyaung Oo, Mount Popa, river cruise ports and Bagan’s Airport are excluded. Supplements apply for customers who want to join this excursion outside one of these regions.
- We will do all possible to comply with any dietary requirements during this excursion; it may not always be possible to confirm your wishes in advance based on the choice of lunch box en route.
- Due to the nature of this tour, we regret to inform you that this excursion is not suitable for wheelchair users.
- Guests are advised that some walking is required during this excursion; we always ensure that we take the most comfortable ways from the entrance of the sight to the sight.
- This tour includes driving over uneven paths, surfaces and off-road bumpy roads, unsuitable for pregnant women, people with neck and back problems and those with limited mobility.
- Customers booking this this leisurely bicycle tour may expect some light hill and unequal terrain along the way. A minimal degree of fitness may be needed to enjoy this excursion to the fullest.
- We always will make efforts to confirm the exact pick-up time upon reservation. For any operational issues in which are not able to confirm the exact pick-up time in advance, we reserve the right to inform you the day before the departure of the tour.
- Sand, dust and water have a destructive effect on electronic equipment. It the customer’s own responsibility to ensure that any camera, mobile telephone or other device is properly wrapped and protected against these elements. We cannot be held responsible in any way for negligence and/or not following suggestions for any damage related to this.
- Please ensure that you bring sunglasses, a hat /cap and sunblock with a high SPF factor when traveling with us on this tour – even when it is cloudy, the sunrays still have an immense power.
- We reserve the right to make necessary changes to the excursion in case of unfavourable weather conditions or situations where we are forced to make alterations to guarantee the safety of our guests.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to provide us with the correct hotel information, should pick-up and drop-off services be included in the package. Any changes in accommodation outside 48 hours will be handled accordingly: changes within 48 hours may be on request.
- We recommend wearing light, comfortable cotton clothing and comfortable shoes.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.