Game of Thrones castle tour - private tour from Private Tours Edinburgh
Doune Castle ( Winterfell ) private tour
Doune was the Castle Winterfell in Game of Thrones.
Your guide will give you information about the history of the castle and guidance about the best viewpoints for taking pictures.
Doune Castle was rebuilt by Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany in the 14th Century
Doune has appeared many times on TV and in films including
Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Souvenir t-shirts , phone cases and photos available to purchase.
Game of Thrones Doune Castle. Doune is Winterfell , home of the house of Stark .
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local guide
- Private tour
- Entry/Admission - Doune Castle
What's excluded :
- Souvenir t-shirts, phone cases and photos (available to purchase, ask the driver for details or visit the Private Tours Edinburgh website
- entrance tickets
Visit the Game of Thrones castle - Doune Castle - on our unique tour. Visit Doune Castle on a unique private tour of the Game of Thrones Castle in Scotland – Winterfell .
Doune Castle is Winterfell in Game of Thrones and features in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Visit Doune Castle on a unique private tour of the Game of Thrones Castle in Scotland – Winterfell . Check availability by phoning us now or contact us online .
• Doune Castle is Winterfell in Game of Thrones
• Featured in Monty Python’s Holy Grail
• Castle Leoch in Outlander
• Private tour for up to 4 people
Doune Castle tours
The castle was used as the set for Winterfell in the TV series Game of Thrones (2011–present), an adaptation of the A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels by George R. R. Martin.
Doune is one of the best preserved medieval castles in Scotland.
The Great Hall is 20 metres by 8 metres , and 12 metres high to its timber roof, again a 19th-century replacement.The hall has no fireplace, and was presumably heated by a central fire, and ventilated by means of a louvre like the one in the modern roof. No details of the original roof construction are known, however, and the restoration is conjectural.Large windows light the hall, and stairs lead down to the three cellars on ground level.
The hall is accessed from the courtyard via a stair up to a triangular lobby, which in turn links the hall and kitchens by means of two large serving hatches with elliptical arches, unusual for this period. The kitchen tower, virtually a tower house in its own right, is 17 metres (56 ft) by 8 metres (26 ft). The vaulted kitchen is on the hall level, above a cellar. One of the best-appointed castle kitchens in Scotland of its date, it has an oven and a 5.5-metre (18 ft) wide fireplace. A stair turret, added in 1581 and possibly replacing a timber stair, leads up from the lobby to two storeys of guest rooms. These include the “Royal Apartments”, a suite of two bedrooms plus an audience chamber, suitable for royal visitors.
Doune Castle has featured in several literary works, including the 17th-century ballad, “The Bonny Earl of Murray”, which relates the murder of James Stewart, 2nd Earl of Moray, by the Earl of Huntly, in 1592. In Sir Walter Scott’s first novel, Waverley (1814), the protagonist Edward Waverley is brought to Doune Castle by the Jacobites. Scott’s romantic novel describes the “gloomy yet picturesque structure”, with its “half-ruined turrets”.
Game of Thrones Castle
Location: Doune Castle, Castle Hill, Doune, Stirling FK16 6EA Scotland
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
we pick up from any hotel in EdinburghAirports
- Turnhouse Airport, Edinburgh EH12 9DN Scotland
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Every vehicle is thoroughly cleaned inside and out before each tour
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.