Gangsters & Candy Stores (night tour with laser projector)
Utilising the latest in handheld laser projection technology, writer and historian Michael Shelford, beams images of notorious characters from the 1890's to the 1930's onto the buildings and streets they once inhabited. Take a walk through downtown Melbourne and learn of an era in which there was much more on offer at the local candy store than just sweets and soft drinks. Explore Melbourne’s underworld c.1870’s to 1930’s, an era in which Melbourne’s downtown slum district, ‘Little Lon’, was mostly run by women. Learn about the battle for supremacy, madams who stood their ground against well-known gangsters such as Squizzy Taylor, and an all-female crime syndicate known as ‘The Combine’. Stop outside buildings which were once brothels and sly grog shops (speak easies), and hear the stories of what occurred within their walls and on the streets and laneways around them.
Shootings, bombings, bashings, brothels, robberies, opium, cocaine and sly grog (speak easies).
per adult from
What's included :
- Toilet facilities are available at the Coopers Inn Hotel where the tour group meets. A tumbler of water and drinking glasses are also there for the use of customers.
- The tour experience is enhanced with the latest in hand-held laser projection technology.
What's excluded :
- Food and beverage, (apart from water which is free), at the starting location can be purchased at your own expense.
- The tour group meets in the front bar of the Coopers Inn Hotel, 282 Exhibition Street, Melbourne CBD. From there we head off to explore the streets and laneways which were the home of crime, prostitution and vice 100 years ago.
The tour finishes several blocks down the hill at the corner of Little Lonsdale and Russell Street, Melbourne CBD.
The start and finish points are a short walk from Parliament Railway Station (Bourke Street exit), and are close to Melbourne's many tram stops.
The starting point is one block from Secure Parking, a multilevel parking station at 59 Lonsdale Street.
The Coopers Inn has toilet facilities. It also has meals and drinks which can be purchased at the customer's own expense.
Departure Point :282 Exhibition St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Departure Time :8.30pm Thursdays (please arrive by 8:20pm)
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.