Gjirokastra( UNESCO World Heritage Site,) Full Day Trip from Tirana
Defined by its castle, roads paved with chunky limestone and shale, imposing slate-roofed houses and views out to the Drina Valley, Gjirokastra is a magical hillside town described beautifully by Albania's most famous author, Ismail Kadare (b 1936), in Chronicle in Stone. There has been a settlement here for 2500 years, though these days it's the 600 'monumental' Ottoman-era houses in town that attract visitors. For Albanians, the town is also synonymous with former dictator Enver Hoxha, who was born here and ensured the town was relatively well preserved under his rule, though he is not memorialised in any way here today.
The aim of his tour is for you to experience the unique, magical and friendly atmosphere of Gjirokastra, not just to see the most popular tourist attractions,accompanied by our guides that knows all the secrets of the city.
per adult from
8 to 9 hours
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea - Gjirokastra (approx. 3-hour drive.) Between the two cities, we will happily stop for a break or a coffee on the way
- All Fees and Taxes
- Ethnographic Museum
- Museum of Weapons
- Entry/Admission - Gjirokastra Bazaar
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Gjirokastra Bazaar, Old town, Gjirokaster Albania
Departure from Tirana at 08:30 am.Pass By: Gjirokaster Castle
Gjirokastra (approx. 3-hour drive.)
Gjirokastra is love on the first sight. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the old town is famous for being a well-preserved Ottoman style town, with its fortress overlooking the entire city, the old houses lean against the slopes of the hills with their beautiful old wooden facades. Being the birthplace of the Nobel-laurate writer Ismail Kadare and also of the notorious communist leader Enver Hoxha, the city is intriguing and controversial as it preserves well all phases of history.
In this short tour you will have the opportunity to discover some of the magic of the city by visiting the medieval Old Bazaar and the highlight of the city the Argjiro Castle.We will start the tour at Cerciz Topulli square where we will get some information about the tour and also learn a bit about the history of the city. Than we continue towards the Old Bazaar stopping at the Neck of Bazaar learning a bit about the architecture of the Bazaar and another stop at Obelisk the first school of the city. We have an amazing view of the city from here. It is the perfect spot to see some of the old characteristic buildings of the Stone City and also a perfect place to shot some pictures. Than we head towards the Castle where we spend around an hour and a half and learn more about the magic of the city and the history of the Castle. After the Castle we head towards the magical house of Zekate a must see. We learn there about the architecture of the house, what were the rooms used for, take some nice picture accompanied by successors of Zekate. Our last stop will be the Ethnographic Museum which was the house where the dictator of Albania Enver Hoxha was born.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Our guide will pick you up from your hotel reception indicated in your booking,holding a sign TravelAlbania
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 1/28/2020 - 1/28/2021
1/29/2021 - 1/28/2022
Monday - Sunday: 07:00 AM - 09:00 PM Monday - Sunday: 07:00 AM - 09:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 5 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.