Glacier & Wildlife Discovery Tour
This is the perfect tour for those with limited time in Alaska. Experience magnificent Portage Glacier on this full-day tour from Anchorage, as well as famous Seward Highway, America's most scenic road. Hugging the edge of Turnagain Arm, stop at lookouts like Beluga Point to try to spot all sheep then, continue on to see even more wildlife at the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge (seasonal). Take a 1-hour cruise on Portage Lake to see Portage Glacier calving, and see where wildlife is rehabilitated at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Later, head high up on the Chugach Mountains for amazing panoramic views of the Anchorage bowl and beyond (weather permitting) This is a 6-hr tour (approx.)
Activity Level: EASY
Guests should be able to walk short distances on uneven ground. Trails surfaces vary from paved to uneven natural terrain. Tour participants must be able to walk a short distance and be able to get in/out of the tour vehicle with minimal assistance.
per adult from
6 to 7 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional Local Guide
- Professional photographer guide (when available)
- Bottled water
- Light snacks
- Spanish-speaking guide (when available)
- Entry/Admission - Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Pickups from private homes, apartments or B&B's. If this is your case, please contact the supplier for the nearest pick up location
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Beluga Point, Seward Highway, Anchorage, AK 99516
Beluga Point is one of the scheduled stops. We will have narration about the area, its geology, unique features and history of the area. Guests will have time to take photos.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Seward Highway, AK
The drive from Anchorage to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center/Portage Glacier Area begins with spectacular views as you pass between the dramatic shorelines of Turnagain Arm and the jutting peaks of the Chugach Mountains. The Seward Highway is considered to be one of the most scenic highways in the US.
Stop At: Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Mile 79 Seward Highway, Girdwood, Anchorage, AK 99587
At the 200-acre Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, jaws drop in awe-even those of longtime Alaskans who've studied grizzlies and other animals up close. AWCC's mission is to preserve Alaska’s wildlife through conservation, research, education and quality animal care. The center, which opened to the public in 1993, also educates visitors about Alaska's wildlife. Coyotes peer out from behind the brush while a bald eagle swoops in on the salmon remains left by a grizzly bear. Wood Bison plod through 65 acres of tidal flat terrain, as part of a program that will one day restore the species to the Alaskan wilderness. Animals that cannot be released into the wild are given a permanent home at the center. Come be a part of these exciting programs and watch these animals display their natural, “wild”, behavior.
You will have about 90 minutes here to view these animals. There is coffee and food for purchase from vendors at the Center.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Portage Glacier, Portage Lake Loop, Girdwood, Anchorage, AK
Portage Glacier Cruise is one hour from Anchorage. This cruise will take you right up to the face of a glacier. You’ll board the comfortable MV Ptarmigan, featuring an enclosed, heated cabin and open-air observation deck. The hour-long cruise is narrated by the US Forest Service, and you’ll navigate around bobbing icebergs and motor to within 300 feet of the towering wall of ice called Portage Glacier (one of Alaska’s most popular attractions). You may have an opportunity to hear the unmistakable rumbling of a calving glacier or rolling iceberg.
After the 1 hour cruise, you will have an opportunity to eat lunch at a nearby restaurant. Lunch is not included.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska
Traveler pickup is offered
###IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!Hotel pick-ups for this tour start approximately 30 minutes prior to the tour time on your voucher. Tour will begin after all hotel pick ups are complete. Tour times are approximate and can be affected by accidents on the road and/or road construction. ###ABOUT HOTEL PICK-UPSHotel pick ups are limited to three (3) hotels per tour. These pick ups are based on a first-come first-serve basis so book early to confirm your pick up. Actual pick up location may change even though you selected a hotel from the drop-down menu. You will be advised of the alternate pick up location if we have reached our maximum 3 pick up hotels.Please note that we do not pick up at private homes, businesses, apartments or B&B's, if this is your case, please call about alternate pick up location. Drop off at Anchorage's Ted Stevens International Airport may be available upon request.###PLEASE PROVIDE US YOUR CONTACT INFORMATIONIt is important for us to know the location of your hotel and also a way to call you. Please provide a good cell number to call you while you are traveling in Alaska. Your home number or land line does not help us in contacting you. Also know that sometimes cell phones do not work well while in Alaska and if we cannot get in touch with you, we will not know where to pick you up!! ###CONFIRMATIONS - REMINDERS - PICK UP TIME - PICK UP LOCATIONWe will use the cell phone number that you provide us to text you and update you with any changes to your tour and also to confirm the pick up time. We usually send you a text to confirm your pick details about 24 hours prior to your tour. You may also get another text message from your guide on the day of your tour.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide.
- A minimum number of people per booking is required for this tour to operate.
- Glacier Cruise portion of the tour is subject to weather conditions.
- Activity level: EASY.
- Guests should be able to walk short distances on uneven ground. Trail surfaces vary from paved to uneven natural terrain. Tour participants must be able to walk a short distance and be able to get in/out of the tour vehicle with minimal assistance. We strongly recommend that guests requiring assistance be accompanied by a companion who is capable of, and totally responsible for, providing assistance. Neither Planet Earth Adventures nor our suppliers may physically lift or assist guests onto transportation vehicles or otherwise.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- We have limited number of infant/child seats. These must be requested in advance if you have a child. If it is NOT requested at the time of booking, we will NOT have them on the day of the tour.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.