Gorges of Varosa - Walking in Douro
The Douro Vinhateiro is not only vineyards and wine but also nature, gastronomy and architecture.
On this tour you will see what no one else sees
This walk begins in Régua, a small town on the Douro River. You cross an old bridge over the Douro and start climbing through the vineyards along the Varosa River Valley.
This part of the way can have many aspects, depending on the time of year. From this side you walk through the vineyards and on the other side you can see fantastic cliffs.
Next you will be able to travel along a Roman road and enter a wild area with the river in the background.
You cross the river by a Roman bridge. View of the fantastic gorges of the river Varosa.
Soon you have a breathtaking view. You're right over the canyon.
Visit to the Varosa dam
Shortly afterwards you will be able to visit the oldest church in the Iberian Peninsula and then Lamego, a hidden treasure of the Douro region.
per adult from
5 to 7 hours
What's included :
- Cold Lunch
- Transportation from Lamego to Peso da Régua at the end
- Afternoon snack consisting of Sparkling Raposeira, Ham of Lamego and Bôla de Lamego. All high quality products produced in the region
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Personal expenses.
- Everything that is not described in the inclusions
- 09:00 am: Meeting at Peso da Régua in front of the train station
09:15 am: Start of the walk. Crossing the bridge over the river Douro
09:30 am: Start of ascent through the vineyards.
11:30 am: Roman Bridge and Vargas Gorges
12:00 am: Top view of the canyons
12:30 pm: Cold lunch by the river. (Lunch is provided by us but is transported by the participants)
1:15 pm: Visit to the dam
2:15 pm: Arrival at the Chapel of St. Peter of Balsemão. Visit (Monday is closed)
1:15 pm: Start walking
2:30 pm: Arrival in Lamego - Visit to the Cathedral
3:15 pm: Ascent of the staircase of the Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios
4:15 pm: To taste the famous sparkling wine Raposeira, ham of Lamego and Bôla de Lamego.
5:00 pm: Return by car to Peso da Régua
Departure Point :Peso da Régua - Train Station
Departure Time :9:30 am Near Train Station
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Distance of the course: 14,5 Km`s
- Difference between the starting point and the point of arrival: 500 meters
- Physical level: High
- Technical level: Low
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.