Guided Coastal Walking Tour from Killiney to Dun Laoghaire
This walk passes through some of the most beautiful and expensive parts of south county Dublin. Which would also make them the most expensive real estate in all of Ireland. As you walk along these small roads with outstanding views you will begin to understand why. These are places where you might meet some of Ireland's most famous characters such as Bono or Enya. The walk takes some very important historical locations such as the old Norman town of Dalkey and the impressive castle at Bullock Harbour. Then we come to a small beach and pier where people from Dublin swim everyday of the year.
This short walk is full of enchantment, Irish folklore and history.
per adult from
What's included :
- Snacks - We will visit "Teddy's Ice Cream" along the way.
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Killiney, Killiney, County Dublin
Killiney is an area in South Dublin on the coast. The Train station here is where we meetup for the walk and get to know each other a little beforehand.
This route is along public pavements, is mostly flat except for the Vico Road stretch which is steep in places. It is about 8 kms long and will take about 3 hours plus stops.
We will follow the coastal road with some of the most expensive real estate in Ireland with tales of the famous and infamous inhabitants, past and present, along the way.
The views from Killiney hill and its coastline explain why it is such an attractive place to live. Sometimes it is compared to Sorrento in Northern Italy. There is a place called Sorrento in Killiney.
From here you can also see Dalkey Island, which once had a monastic site on it and was also the first landing place of Vikings into Ireland.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Dalkey, Dalkey, County Dublin
We will walk from Killiney along the coast unless you wish to visit Killiney hill. We will eventually make our way into a very old Norman settlement town in Dublin called Dalkey. The town still has many of its old remaining Norman building such as the Mint, Church and castle. Its narrow streets give you a hint to the age of the town and its settlers.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Bullock Castle, Bullock Harbour, Glenageary, Dalkey, Co. Dublin, Ireland
As we make our way from Dalkey Village north towards Dun Laoghaire you will notice another castle to your right just of the road. This is Bullock Castle and is also another Norman structure with its own small harbour. This at one time was the main entry into Dublin from England and the castle was used to collect tariffs and taxes.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Sandycove, Sandycove, County Dublin
This is where the James Joyce museum is in south Dublin. It’s also where the book Ulysses starts from. This is also a very famous place in Dublin for swimming.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Dun Laoghaire, Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin
Dun Laoghaire today is our main port between Dublin and England and has been down through the ages. This is why this part of Dublin may have a very British feel to it. With its promenade and fine Georgian houses on its sea front. There are many Yacht clubs here and long piers which many Irish people enjoy a Sunday walk on. It’s also where we have our ice creams in Teddy's and there are many places to eat if you are a little peckish after your walk.
We will walk you to the train station here where we say good bye and maybe you might enjoy staying a little longer here to have a browse on your own.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Killiney, Dublin, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Dun Laoghaire, Dún Laoghaire, Dublin, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Stroller accessible
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The Coastal train in Dublin which is very regular will bring you to the meeting location. and you can return to Dublin by the same train.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- We practice social distance on all our tours and walks at the moment and hand sanitizer will be provided.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.