Guided tour of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, one of the most beautiful villages in France
High place of the pilgrimage of Compostelle, St-Jean-Pied-de-Port is since the 12th century a major stage before crossing the Pyrenees by the Col de Roncevaux. Pilgrims make a stop there in the numerous Saint-Jeannaises inns. Even today and in their turn, they perpetuate what millions of pilgrims before them have succeeded in: rushing towards the Cize passes and crossing the 1200m drop that separates them from Spain.
Listed among the most beautiful villages in France, you will be charmed by the authentic character of its streets, where stone predominates and where each house tells a little more about the history of its inhabitants.
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port also offers very beautiful views, especially from its Vauban citadel, testimony to a tumultuous past with the Spanish. From there, you can contemplate the interior Basque Country and let yourself be taken in by the beauty of a preserved countryside.
Free guided tour for children under 12.
per adult from
What's included :
- Certified tourist guide.
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: La Citadelle de Saint Jean Pied de Port, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port France
Explore the history of the Citadel with your guide who will explain its history and the genius of Vauban.
Duration: 40 minutes
Stop At: Rue de la Citadelle, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France
This charming street is the most emblematic of the village, your guide will explain the history of its houses, closely linked to the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, as well as their architectural specificities. You will certainly fall in love!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Notre-Dame du Bout du Pont Church, 2 Rue de la Citadelle, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France
This beautiful church is intimately linked to the history of the village, your guide will explain the historical anecdotes concerning it as well as the role of churches in Basque society.
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: Rue d'Espagne, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France
This lively and shopping street is ideal for getting to know local products and to fall in love with the village.
Duration: 25 minutes
Departure Point :Chemin de la Porte Saint-Jacques, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France
Return Detail :Place Floquet, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Service animals allowed
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The ascent to the Citadel is a fairly steep but short paved slope. We will take with the most fragile people all the time necessary to go up.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.