Half-day Wine Tasting Tour in Etyek Wine Country near Budapest
Savor some of Hungary’s delicious wines on this 4-5-hour wine tasting and dinner experience in the Etyek wine region. Leave Budapest in the morning or in the afternoon to explore this idyllic wine area, fêted for its elegant white and sparkling wines. Absorb the vine-covered hills dotted with old cellars and grape presses, and visit three cozy, family-run wineries to sample four wines in each. Learn local winemaking secrets from each friendly host and (if you choose the Meal options) finish with a rustic, 2-course Hungarian lunch or dinner). Enjoy personalized attention from your guide on this small-group tour, limited to 12 people.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Visits to 2-3 wine cellars
- up to 12 wine samples with snacks
- 2-course dinner with water
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Start your experience with a pickup at your centrally located Budapest hotel, and drive to the Etyek-Buda wine region, about 30 minutes away. Admire the vine-coated hills as you approach the town of Etyek, the hub of this relatively young wine industry that started when German settlers planted vines here around 200 years ago.
Hear about Etyek’s famous fresh and crisp white wines, typically grown from pinot gris and sauvignon blanc grapes, and its celebrated sparkling Törley wine. Then, visit Old Wine Hill where nearly 1,000 mostly disused wine cellars sprinkle the slopes. Enjoy the views over the vineyards, public grape presses and villages below as your guide explains more about the local soils and acidities.
Visit small, family-run wineries and sample four wines in each, along with tasty Hungarian snacks. In the morning tour you will get to see two wineries and in the longer afternoon tour you will visit 3 wineries. As you sip, learn local winemaking secrets from your friendly host — usually the winery owner and winemaker rolled into one. Discuss each wine with the host and get a truly personal take on each variety you’re tasting. You’ll leave with a really intimate understanding of the traditions, peoples and countryside that make the wines here so special.
Afterward, enjoy a delicious 2-course dinner at a wine estate. If it’s summer, dine outside, or if it's winter, sit down at a table inside a cellar. Savor the classic Hungarian dishes and discuss your wine discoveries as you eat, perhaps enjoying some wine (own expense) with your food. See the Itinerary for a sample menu.
Lastly, drive back to Budapest where a hotel drop-off marks the end of your tour.
Departure Point :The Ritz-Carlton, Budapest, Budapest, Erzsébet tér 9-10, 1051 Hungary
Traveler pickup is offered
Please contact City & Wine 1-2 days prior to your tour to confirm exact pickup location and pickup time.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 18 years
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide in English, German and French
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- As part of our Corona Virus Safety policy, guests required to wear health masks while in the bus
- Guests with upper respiratory symptoms are not allowed to board the bus
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- The experience is mostly outdoors / terraces, where social distancing is possible without compromising the enjoyment.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.