Highlights of Puerto Plata: Food and Rum Tasting and Cigar Factory Visit
So you’ve arrived in Puerto Plata and you want to see all its iconic sites in one day? Look no further, we’ve got you covered. Join us for an action-packed five hours that squeezes in a spectacular cable car ride, historic sites and epic views galore, a rum tasting at the best rum factory on the island and a traditional Dominican lunch that will introduce you to the foodie delights of our beautiful country. And there’s plenty more where that came from! If you don’t do anything else on your trip but chill and enjoy the Caribbean vibe, you can still go home safe in the knowledge that you have explored the best of what Puerto Plata has to offer if you join us for this memorable day out!
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- One bottle of water
- One beer
- One soda
- Mamajuana tasting
- Dominican-style lunch
- One coffee
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Alcoholic Beverages
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide.
- We can also provide pick-up for an additional fee from Playa Dorada, Costambar and Puerto Plata city hotels. Please contact us after making your booking for rates.
- We’re starting on a high for our first stop — 793 metres high to be exact! Hop on the cable car with your expert local guide and zoom to the summit of the Isabel de Torres mountain. The ride itself provides you with truly astonishing views of the Atlantic Ocean and Puerto Plata City, surrounded by lush green rainforest. This is a great way to get an overview of your surroundings (and snap a few epic pictures for your Instagram account!). Upon reaching the top, we’ll take a stroll through the dreamy cloud forest pathways and spend some time exploring this beautiful national park.
There’s even a Christ the Redeemer statue up here, Rio-style, so of course we’ll stop to toast Him with a local beer, touching the clouds with your hands as they pass by from time to time.
Back on sea level, we’ll hit up one of the best and most important rum factories on the island. You’ll learn about its fascinating history and the process to make the golden nectar before tasting five of our favourite varieties. If you weren’t already, you’ll definitely be in a good mood now!
From here we will head over to the stunning La Puntilla to enjoy dramatic sea views across the Atlantic Ocean. We’ll learn about the colonial history of the island at the San Felipe Fortress and take a short walk around the harbour, enjoying views of the Isabel the Torres mountain from the ground.
After that, we’ll move on to the historic district of Puerto Plata, where you will learn about the history and architecture of the city and discover the secrets to the laidback Dominican lifestyle.
We’ll then visit the Victorian house of one of our most prominent national heroes, where you will discover local history and what life was like for families during the Republican period.
Next up is a visit to a cigar factory where you'll learn about our most prized export, the cigar. Learn how the experts plant, harvest and select the best tobacco leaves to create and roll the finest Dominican cigars. Try one (if you wish) alongside the ever-popular Dominican national drink, Mamajuana, made with spices, honey, rum and red wine. It’s very moreish, trust us!
By now you will have worked up quite an appetite so to finish your introduction to the highlights of Puerto Plata, we’re going to treat you to a delicious Dominican-style lunch at one of the most charming family-owned small restaurants in the city. So not only will you experience the cultural and historic highlights of the city, but the foodie ones too!
Your tour will end with a freshly brewed coffee at a lovely Victorian house, which is a favourite of the locals. Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay in the Dominican Republic.
Departure Point :The Cable Car Puerto Plata, Calle del Teleférico, Puerto Plata 57000, Dominican Republic
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.