Historic Alleyways in Washington, DC
Behind DC's elegant row houses was a concealed world that had its own culture, traditions, and served as a haven for the city's poorest inhabitants from the mid 19th to early 20th century. On this tour you'll learn all about these hidden enclaves and the people who lived in them.
per adult from
90 to 120 minutes
What's included :
- Up to 2 hours of a unique walking tour experience by a knowledgeable guide.
What's excluded :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Entry/Admission - La Colombe Coffee Roasters
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Blanche K. Bruce House, 909 M St NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA
Blanche K. Bruce was the first African American to serve a full term as Senator, and rose to his position during the Reconstruction era after the Civil War. The tour starts as the location of his residence while he was serving his Senatorial term.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Blagden Alley Northwest, Blagden Alley NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA
Blagden Alley is one of DC's most well-preserved historic alleyways. Once the subject of a study of DC alleyways, it is now the site of art galleries, hidden-away restaurants and coffee shops.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: La Colombe Coffee Roasters, 924 Blagden Alley NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA
The tour makes a pit stop at this popular coffee spot.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: D.C. Alley Museum, Blagden Alley NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA
Beginning in 2015, a series of works were commissioned by artists with a history in the Shaw neighborhood and in Blagden Alley — They created a stunning display of new works painted directly on the garage doors of several buildings in Bladgen Alley.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Naylor Court Northwest, Naylor Ct NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA
Naylor Court is a former site of alleyway stables, and later old fashioned garages. It is a part of the Blagden Alley - Naylor Court Historic District.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Blanche K. Bruce House, 909 M St NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA
Departure Time :2:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.