Historical Montserrat Half-Day Hiking Tour from Barcelona
Get a dose of history, culture, and nature during this 6.5-hour tour to Montserrat from Barcelona. With your guide and small group of 8 or fewer people, explore the Basilica of Montserrat, take the glass-top St. Joan funicular to the middle part of the Montserrat mountain range, then spend a pleasant 2-hours hiking past authentic "hermitages" (retreats) where the first inhabitants of Montserrat gathered more than a thousand years ago. The tour ends at the monastery and a drive back to central Barcelona. Special pricing for children.
per adult from
6 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Transportation by private vehicle
- Special pricing for children
- 2-hour hike through the Natural Park
- Accident insurance/health assistance
- Funicular up to Sant Joan (Funicular down not included. We will return hiking)
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Begin the tour at 8:05am, when your driver/guide picks you up from central Barcelona. Drive north into the mountainous countryside for about an hour in a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle as you take in the striking rocky scenery around you. Upon arriving at the ancient religious site of Montserrat, skip the lines to see Santa Maria de Montserrat – the mountain’s Benedictine monastery – and its 12th-century wooden carving La Moreneta ("The Black Madonna").
With your small group of 8 or less people, ride the glass-topped St. Joan funicular railway and take in spectacular views of the monastery and the mountain on your way up. Hike for 2 hours at Montserrat Natural Park; different routes can be selected depending upon the group's preference. Pass thousand-year-old hermitages and hear stories about the important roles they played became during the Spanish Independence War in the early 19th century.
After hiking back down to the monastery you'll have the opportunity to taste a variety of natural food products from local vendors, and to purchase lunch before your drive back to Barcelona around 2:30pm.
Elevation Gain/Loss: +180 m (+600 ft)/ -400 m (-1.300 ft)
Duration: 6.5 hours
Active Hiking Time: 2 hours
Total distance hiked: 6 km (3,7 mi)
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Point Address: Provença, 279 - 08037 Barcelona (In front of Hotel Praktik-Bakery Baluard) or your hotel lobby. In case customer selects Hotel pick up option, you must provide your hotel details in the Special Requirements Box at time of bookingReturn point Address: Provença, 279 - 08037 Barcelona or your hotel (if option selected at time of booking)
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- In case you pick the option: "Hotel Pick up" advise your hotel details in the Special Requirements Box at time of booking please
- Group tour limited to 8 people
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please bring comfortable clothes, walking shoes, warm clothing in winter, and sunscreen in summer
- Please bring snacks and drinks to this tour in case you need them
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.