Historical Walking Tour in Mamallapuram
Join us for this 2-hour walking tour to explore the historical city of Mamallapuram! Embark on spectacular walks through some of historic landscapes, including the famous UNESCO World Heritage Site Arjuna’s Penance and the Five Rathas, in search of the richest stories from our past. This 7th century historical town will give you the oldest existing remains of Dravidian architecture. They are constituted by cave temples, monolithic chariots, sculpted reliefs and structural temples.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All taxes and handling charges
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Meet up at the designated location in Mamallapuram (see Departure Point) and start this relaxing walking tour at 9:00 AM for morning departure or 3:30 PM for afternoon departure
The tour starts with the famous UNESCO World Heritage Site - Arjuna’s Penance known for those two huge boulders. Arjuna’s Penance dating from the 7th century has exquisite detail and depicts the flow of the Ganges down from the Himalayan mountains as well as scenes from Indian daily life. Later visit the Five Rathas where you won't be able believe that these shrines are carved whole from an outcrop of rock. Each of the five temples is dedicated to heroes from the great epic of the Mahabharata. Spend time admiring the detail of the carvings which include gods, humans and elephants and wonder why the temples are incomplete and were never consecrated.
Afterwards stop by the Shore Temple Relish located at a delightful seaside location, overlooking the Bay of Bengal, and landscaped gardens surrounding it. Dedicated to both Vishnu and Shiva, the decorative beauty of the temple, built in Dravidian style, has suffered erosion by its proximity to the sea. When the tour ends, you will return to the departure point.
Departure Point :Travel XS, 123, E Raja St, Fisherman Colony, Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu 603104, India
Traveler pickup is offered
pickup from hotel
Departure Time :9:00 AM for morning departure
3:30 PM for afternoon departure
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A maximum of 10 people per booking
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.