History & Culture Small-Group Tour with a Local
Get off the beaten path with this tour of Baltimore’s vibrant Mount Vernon neighborhood. You’ll learn about Baltimore’s place in early American history, check out filming locations for several popular television shows, marvel at the beauty of America’s first Roman Catholic Church, and grab a snack from a vendor at one of the city’s most bustling markets. By the end of this tour, we’ll have you feeling like a proper Baltimore local!
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- One snack
- One beverage
- Entry/Admission - Baltimore Urban Adventures
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Washington Monument and Mount Vernon Place, 699 North Charles Street Charles and Monument Streets, Baltimore, MD 21201
Our tour of the Mount Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore begins at the city’s Washington Monument: the first monument erected to honor George Washington and it just so happens to be the predecessor to the famous monument that stands on the National Mall in Washington DC. Here we will talk about the history of the neighborhood, its diverse and changing architecture and the modern-day interests that stem from the area.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Mount Vernon Cultural District, MVBA / 1221 N Calvert St, Baltimore, MD 21201
Our next destination is inside the Mount Vernon Marketplace, part of the regrowth of the neighborhood. Inside this former-warehouse is one of the city’s most popular new stops for artisanal food and drinks of all kinds. Your guide will show you to his or her favorite spot and order up a bite for the group to enjoy.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, 409 Cathedral St, Baltimore, MD 21201-4450
Soon we will arrive at the Baltimore Basilica, or to use its full name: Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This stately neoclassical building was the very first Roman Catholic Church built in the United States. Conditions permitting, your guide will take you inside the columned entrance to marvel at the domed ceilings, marble and granite construction, prayer chapels and works of art.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Baltimore Urban Adventures, Baltimore, MD 21218
Need one final history and architecture fix? We’ll head back out to see a few more sights before making our way to our final stop for a coffee or tea at a nearby coffeehouse with an international flare. Your guide will happily suggest their favorite cookie to go along with your beverage of choice.
Before you say goodbye, make sure to ask your guide for lunch recommendations in the neighborhood. There’s plenty to choose from!
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Washington Monument, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Departure Time :11:00 AM
Return Detail :North Charles Street, N Charles St, Baltimore, MD, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please wear casual clothes appropriate for the weather, and comfortable walking shoes.
- Small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
- This tour features visits to establishments that are not always able to cater for vegetarians and other dietary requirements. Discounts are available and your guide can assist you with recommendations on where to purchase alternative diet-friendly food during the tour.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.