Housesteads Roman Fort - Hadrian's Wall
Set high on a dramatic escarpment on Hadrian's Wall World Heritage Site.
Admire the stunning panoramic views from this ancient fortress.
Our interactive museum showcases objects once belonging to Roman soliders, and the mini-cinema will take you on a journey through time.
per adult from
1 to 3 hours
What's included :
- Entry/Admission - Housesteads Roman Fort - Hadrian's Wall
What's excluded :
- Visit: Housesteads Roman Fort - Hadrian's Wall, Housesteads B6318, Haydon Bridge, Hexham NE47 6NN England
Visit the historic Housesteads Roman Fort with a pre-booked entrance ticket. Set on an escarpment and flanked by dramatic stretches of Hadrian's Wall, uncover the lives of the self-sufficient soldiers who lived here. Stand on the edge of a formidable empire and take in awe-inspiring 360-degree vantage points.
During your visit of the site, imagine what life was like for the 800 soldiers living and working here during the Roman period. Learn about every aspect of their life including clothing, tools, weaponry, religious beliefs, and medicine. See the barracks block, hospital, Commander's House, granaries, and communal toilets. Then, head into the museum to visit the mini-cinema. See the fort brought to life in film with stunning recreations of the original Roman buildings and meet Felix, the character who guides younger visitors around.
Next, discover the fascinating collection of Roman finds to give you a snapshot of life, 2000 years ago. See Roman altars, dedication stones, jewellery, tools and weapons, all excavated from the fort. Look out for the impressive winged statue, Victory, a wonderful example of classical sculpture found lying in the landscape around the fort.
Finally, take the Housesteads Trail covering some of the most tranquil parts of Northumberland National Park. Run wild in 5 acres, dress-up as a Roman soldier and play a game of 'I spy' on the edge of the Roman Empire.
Departure Point :Housesteads Roman Fort - Hadrian's Wall, Housesteads B6318, Haydon Bridge, Hexham NE47 6NN England
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair Access - Limited access to site (companion recommended). 750-metre walk up a steep gradient. Disabled parking availabile at the top of the hill. Please enquire at the information centre in the bottom cat park to arrange disabled parking.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- A paper voucher is required for this attraction/activity. You must print and bring your printed voucher with you on the day of the activity, as required by our local provider.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.