Hvar Night Sky Tour
Taste the local food, enjoy the beautiful view, learn why there is a professional astronomical observatory in Hvar and experience the amazing night sky wonders using a large telescope and expert guidance.
• Enjoy the breathtaking sunset and wonderful view from the hill above the Hvar
• Taste the local food and wine in one of Hvar’s best restaurants
• Learn something about the professional astronomical observatory that is situated in Hvar
• Experience the wonders of the Hvar night sky (the moon, planets, galaxies, binary stars) through our telescope, guided by an expert in the astronomy
per adult from
180 to 270 minutes
What's included :
- Expert guide in astronomy
- Transportation (Hvar – Panorama restaurant and back)
- Dinner & wine in Panorama restaurant
- Stargazing with our 10-inch Schmidt Cassegrain telescope
- Accident insurance
- Bottled water
- Alcoholic Beverages
What's excluded :
Duration: 3 - 4.5 hours
Distance: 0 - 2 km
Group size: 3 - 15 people
Did you know that because of the favorable weather and clear, unpolluted skies, the largest professional astronomical observatory in Croatia is situated above the town of Hvar? The Hvar Observatory was founded in 1972 through collaboration between the Faculty of Geodesy of the University of Zagreb and the Astronomical Institute of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, Ondrejov. Today, all four telescopes installed at Hvar Observatory are still regularly used for scientific research. Two telescopes (13 and 20cm refractors) are employed for solar observations to regularly monitor the solar activity and other two telescopes (with 65 cm and 1-meter mirrors) are used to observe variable stars. The Austro-Croatian Telescope with a 1-meter mirror installed in the Hvar Observatory is one of two largest astronomical telescopes in Croatia (another 1-meter telescope is situated in Tician, Istria).
The tour starts at the bus station in the town of Hvar. From there we drive about ten minutes (4 km) to the top of a small hill where Panorama Restaurant is situated. It is a perfect spot from which to enjoy the beautiful view of the Pakleni islands, Vis, and the western part of the island of Hvar. It is also a great place to take the photos and wait for the unforgettable sunset, which is simply remarkable from here. After sunset, dinner is served in the restaurant, where you can taste the different local dishes and wine. After dinner your guide will give you a short presentation (20-30 min) about astronomy in Hvar and some information about the objects that will be later observed with the telescope. Finally, when it gets completely dark outside, you’ll be able to experience the awesome Hvar night sky using the telescope that will be prepared for stargazing. Depending on the phase of the moon, weather conditions, and the season of the year, the guide will pick the most attractive and best objects to observe, such as the moon, planets, globular clusters, double stars, galaxies, or planetary nebulas. After one hour of observing the night sky with the telescope, the tour ends with organized transportation from Panorama restaurant to the Hvar bus station.
Departure Point :Hvar bus station
Departure Time :Starts every day about half hour before sunset (May: 19:30 h, June & July: 20:00 h, August: 19:30 h, September: 18:30 h), however we are flexible and the exact time can be arranged with you.
Note: in the case of tour option to visit Hvar fortress and hiking to Panorama restaurant, the start of the tour is one and half hour earlier
Return Detail :Hvar bus station
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- What to take:
- Warm clothes and shoes (it can be much colder at night than during the day)
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.