Invisible (Edinburgh): Crimes & Punishment Tours (Grassmarket & Royal Mile)
Take on one of our Award winning walking tours of Edinburgh and follow your guide Sonny alongside the streets of HIS Edinburgh. He has researched and designed a tour that is haunting and thrilling in equal measures.
The tour starts on the Grassmarket, the site of the capital city's last public hangings and follow stories of murders, crimes and legends. You will also hear stories of local projects and social enterprises that support the most vulnerable people in our society.
The tour lasts between one and one and half hours (depending on group size). Sonny is always happy to answer questions on his knowledge of the city’s rich history and on his own journey from walking the streets as a homeless person to becoming a much loved tour guide of the city.
per adult from
60 to 90 minutes
What's included :
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- By taking a tour with Invisible Cities, you will support our activities, providing training and development opportunities to our guides, trainees and volunteers and helping us organise community events for the wider homeless communities.
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks As mentioned, Sonny is happy to answer questions after the tour. The tour ends at a local business where you will be welcomed to enjoy their hospitality.
- Food and drinks
- This tour is organised by Invisible Cities- a global social enterprise that trains people who have experienced homelessness to become walking tour guides of their own city. We operate in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and York.
Sonny is one of our best known Edinburgh guides and has trained for several months before offering this tour. His tour begins on the Grassmarket and ends on the world famous Royal Mile. Sonny, offers you a unique tour of his Edinburgh. Sonny will guide you along the streets he knows well exploring stories of crimes, hangings, and jail time! Sonny's own story is awe inducing. He shares parts of it along the way as he uncovers some of Edinburgh's dark history.
Your adventure begins at Maggie Dickson's pub where you will learn the incredible story of how Maggie managed to survive a public execution in the early 1700s. After a quick stop at the Grassmarket Community Project (a fellow social enterprise),you will then discover the first concentration camp in history. You will also hear stories about Deacon Brody, Jekyll and Hyde, and others before making your final stops at Street Work.
Departure Point :Meet outside Maggie Dickson's pub, 92 Grassmarket, Edinburgh.There you will be greeted by our guide.
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :This tour ends at the Royal Mile, half an hours walk from the Grassmarket. Sonny is happy to direct you and share his local knowledge of Edinburgh should you require directions.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.