Jenolan Caves: Imperial-Diamond Cave Tour
Set in the Blue Mountains World Heritage Area, Jenolan is Australia's most spectacular cave system, the largest cave system in Australia (that is open to the public) and is 340 million years old - ranking it amongst the oldest caves on Earth. Enjoy all that Jenolan's Imperial Cave offers, then explore the beautiful Diamond Branch, with its pure white crystal.
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Full guided tour and commentary for 1.5 hours.
What's excluded :
- Jenolan has a large cafe, where you can purchase light lunch, drinks and snacks. There is also a large restaurant, which is open every evening. A range of accommodation is available.
- Jenolan was a protected reserve well before the Diamond Branch was discovered. So, its natural beauty has been completely preserved.
The Imperial-Diamond is regarded as one of Jenolan's less strenuous caves, with only 386 stair steps. So the tour guide can take visitors into this cave at an easy pace.
The first large cavern is known as the 'Woolshed', due to the strangely fluffy appearance of the stalactites. Wide, level passages bring the group to the 'Sinkhole' where the bones of a Tasmanian Devil, long since extinct on the Australian mainland, are on display.
The group passes 'Ridley's Shortcut' and into the 'Shawl Cave' featuring several large and impressive crystal shawl formations. At the end of the 'Shawl Cave' the passageway narrows and a few steps bring the group to a tall, pure white stalagmite named 'Lots Wife'. The 'Crystal Cities' is a huge crystal rimpool formation - a beautiful, unforgettable sight.
The group has the option of descending a winding staircase to view the pure water of the underground river - lots of photo opportunities here!
Then, the group enters the Diamond Branch. This includes visits to the 'Selena Cave', 'Nellies Grotto', the 'Fairy Bower' and the 'Diamond Cave'. The 'Diamond Cave' in particular is quite wonderfully decorated and allows for close inspection of the cave decoration.
Departure Point :4655 Jenolan Caves Rd, Jenolan NSW 2790, Australia
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- There are 386 stair steps on this tour. This tour can be enjoyed by people of all ages and of average fitness. However, it is not suitable for anyone with health or mobility problems.
- Photography is welcomed, but tripods, monopods and selfie sticks are not allowed.
- Front slings are the only baby carrying equipment allowed on this tour.
- Aim to arrive at Jenolan at least 30 minutes before your tour, to find parking and to use the restrooms
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.