Jenolan Caves: Lucas Cave Tour
Set in the Blue Mountains World Heritage Area, Jenolan boasts Australia's most spectacular cave system and Australia's largest cave system (that is open to the public). At 340 million years old, Jenolan ranks amongst the oldest caves in the world. When you explore the massive Lucas Cave, you stand in Jenolan's highest and widest chambers - it is humbling!
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Full guided tour and commentary for 1.5 hours.
What's excluded :
- Jenolan has a large cafe, where you can purchase light lunch, drinks and snacks. There is also a large restaurant, which is open every evening. A range of accommodation is available.
- There are 910 stair steps in this cave, so it is regarded as 'strenuous', although it can be done by the average visitor. The longest flight of stairs takes visitors into the caves. Once inside, it becomes much easier. The tour guides stop every few metres to describe the huge and amazing calcite crystal formations.
The massive Cathedral Chamber is over 50 metres (164 feet) from floor to roof. Talented visitors are invited to sing in this chamber, which features perfect acoustics. Many famous singers have performed in this chamber.
Visitors experience the 'Exhibition Chamber', the largest chamber at Jenolan - the size of a small football field. The beautiful 'Procenium' features stunning, colourful cave shawls. Crossing a high bridge, visitors gaze down to the underground river far below - still, pure and blue.
If you are part of a small group, and your tour guide has time, you may have the opportunity to see the Mafeking Branch of the Lucas Cave, which features some of the most beautiful stalactites and stalagmites at Jenolan.
Also, on the way in and out of the Lucas Cave, you may see a wild wallaby. Jenolan is located in a huge nature reserve, where many marsupials thrive. A colony of rare brush tailed rock-wallabies live at Jenolan Caves, and some of these have actually made their home near the entrance to this particular cave. A sighting is not guaranteed, but visitors should keep their eyes open, especially in the cooler months.
Departure Point :4655 Jenolan Caves Rd, Jenolan NSW 2790, Australia
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- There are 910 stair steps on this tour, which extends 860 metres into the mountain. This tour can be enjoyed by people of all ages and of average fitness. However, it is not suitable for anyone with health or mobility problems.
- Photography is welcomed, but tripods, monopods and selfie sticks are not allowed.
- Front slings are the only baby carrying equipment allowed on this tour.
- Aim to arrive at Jenolan at least 30 minutes before your tour, to find parking and to use the restrooms
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.