Jenolan Caves: River Cave Tour
Set in the Blue Mountains World Heritage Area, Jenolan is Australia's most spectacular cave system, the largest cave system in Australia (that is open to the public) and is 340 million years old - ranking it amongst the oldest caves on Earth. At Jenolan, the River Cave is extra effort, but worth it - mind-bending labyrinth, awe-inspiring chambers and pure water.
What's included :
- Full guided tour and commentary for 2 hours.
What's excluded :
- Jenolan has a large cafe, where you can purchase light lunch, drinks and snacks. There is also a large restaurant, which is open every evening. A range of accommodation is available.
- This is one of the longest tours at Jenolan, with 1,298 stair steps, including 2 steep ladders.
Visitors start the tour by passing through the last chambers of the Lucas Cave. Then, the first main chamber of the River Cave is the 'Tower Chamber', which presents an excellent photo opportunity with the huge stalagmite known as 'The Minaret'.
Moving downwards, the group sees the 'Pool of Reflections', the highlight of the tour for many. This large, illuminated pool of pure, still, blue water produces a multitude of perfect reflections. It is breath-taking.
The groups stops to admire the 'Queens Canopy', a large canopy of flowstone that extends out from the cave wall. Then, they enter 'Queen Esther's Chamber', where the roof and walls are completely covered in stalagmites and stalactites - awe-inspiring!
The group continues on, to see the 'Mons Meg Chamber' with its enormous centrepiece, then 'Olympia', a chamber dominated by a large column, known as the 'Grand Column'. As the group starts heading back, they pass through the spooky 'Mud Tunnels'.
Departure Point :4655 Jenolan Caves Rd, Jenolan NSW 2790, Australia
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- There are 1,298 stair steps on this tour, including 2 steep ladders. This tour can be enjoyed by people of average fitness. However, it is not suitable for anyone with health or mobility problems, or a fear of heights.
- Photography is welcomed, but tripods, monopods and selfie sticks are not allowed.
- Aim to arrive at Jenolan at least 30 minutes before your tour, to find parking and to use the restrooms.
- Young children are not allowed on this tour. The minimum age is 10.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.