Johnston Canyon Evening Icewalk
Johnston Canyon is one of Banff National Park’s most popular hiking spots, but most people don’t think to experience it at night. Your headlight (yours to keep after the tour) makes the frozen waterfalls shimmer as you hike along the suspended catwalk in quiet darkness. The evening icewalk is all about heightening your senses, appreciating the darkness, the scents of the fresh pine forest and enjoying the silence of a night spent beneath the stars as you follow your guide through this narrow, water-formed canyon.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Souvenir headlamp to keep
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
What's excluded :
- Optional gratuities
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Bow Valley Parkway, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta Canada
Travel through breathtaking scenery and nature on your way to the trailhead and learn about the history and geology of Johnston Canyon.
Stop At: Johnston Canyon, Banff National Park, Alberta Canada
Light your way through this narrow, water-formed canyon as your small group follows your guide to the Canyon’s lower falls. The suspended catwalks, built into the limestone walls, make this an easy trip for everyone. Along the way, your guide will highlight unique features by powerful flashlight and pause for moments of darkness and quiet to foster an appreciation for spending time in the canyon at night.
At the turn around point, your guide will illuminate the expanding ice that encases the rushing water and escort you through a natural tunnel onto the viewing platform, beside the cascading Lower Falls themselves. Warm up with hot chocolate and maple cookies while you look around the Lower Falls, the turnaround point.
The return journey is your opportunity to travel without your headlamp (should you wish!). You’ll be amazed as to how quickly your eyes adjust to the darkness, enough for you to travel through the pine forest guided only by the ambient light of the moon and the stars above your head.
What to expect:
• Walking Time: 1 - 1.5 hours
• Return Distance: 1.4 miles (2.2 kilometers)
• Elevation Gain: 213 feet (65 meters)
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
You must be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour departure time. Our guide will be there within the 15 minute pick up window.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.