Knights Templar day tour from Lisbon
This tour will follow the footsteps of the Knights Templar, a religious-military order full of mysteries (among its treasures the Holy Grail itself…).
We start our visit in Santarem, the Gothic city, as it is known, for all the Gothic style monuments it holds.
Next, we stop at the upper Tagus River and cross it by boat to Almourol Castle, one of the most interesting Portuguese castles built by the Knights Templar, on a small island in the middle of the river.
Next we follow the path of the Templar Order to Tomar, a UNESCO World Heritage city, with its charming historic center on the banks of the Nabão River and visit the home of this amazing relegious and military order, the Convent of Christ with its eight cloisters.
Let us drive you in the comfort of a Mercedes-Benz vehicle, with AC and WiFi, and be escorted by one of our certified professional driver-guides.
per adult from
6 to 8 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- High comfort Mercedes Benz vehicles
- Certified professional driver-guide
- WiFi and bottled waters on board
- Accident and liability insurance
- All taxes included
What's excluded :
- Entrance tickets
- Clients meals and lodging
- Entry/Admission - Castelo Almourol
- Entry/Admission - Convent of Christ
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Santarem, Santarem, Santarem District, Central Portugal
The capital of Portuguese Gothic architecture, Santarem was founded by the Romans in the first century B.C., reaching its height of prosperity during the domain of the Moors. It was conquered by the first king of Portugal, Afonso I in 1147 and became the regional capital of the province of Ribatejo. We will visit the Church of Graça (13th century Gothic) where we can find the tomb of the great Portuguese explorer Pedro Alvares Cabral, the discoverer of Brazil.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Castelo Almourol, Praia do Ribatejo, Constancia 2260-000 Portugal
The Castle of Almourol is one of the best examples of 12th-century military Templar architecture. It is strategically located on an island in the center of the Tagus River. This fortress was considered invincible and was part of a line of defense composed of 5 castles that protected Coimbra, the capital of Portugal, at the time. We will visit the Castle of Almorol, by crossing the river on a very pleasant boat ride. From the walls of the castle, we will enjoy the wonderful view of the winding course of the river around the valleys of “Ribatejo.”
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Tomar, Tomar, Santarem District, Central Portugal
The Order of the Knights Templar, or Templars, entered in Portugal in the 12th century, even before the founding of the kingdom. This Order gained fame in Portugal when the Knight Gualdim Pais was instructed by the founder of the Templars in Jerusalem, Hugo of Payens to establish the first Templar headquarters in Europe. Thus, the city of Tomar was born as a replica of the Holy City of Jerusalem and on its dominant hill, the Convent of Christ is built overlooking the city. Walking tour through the streets of Tomar.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Convent of Christ, Igreja do Castelo Templário, 2300-000 Tomar, Portugal
Knights Templar Headquarters:
With the extinction of the Knights Templar in 1307, all its wealth and assets became part of the new Order of Christ. We will visit the headquarters of the Templars in Europe, the Convent of Christ, a World Heritage Site, a place of inspiration for legends and stories written in books and adapted for the cinema.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Your assigned driver-guide will meet you at the place designated by you (within the city of Lisbon)Airports
- Lisboa Airport, Alameda das Comunidades Portuguesas, Lisbon 1700-111 Portugal
- Lisbon Cruise Port - Jardim do Tabaco Quay, Doca Jardim do Tabaco Terminal de Cruzeiros de Lisboa, Av. Infante Dom Henrique, 1100-651 Lisboa, Portugal
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Premiere Tours complies with the new SAFETY standards in accordance with the guidelines of the Ministry of Health of Portugal, providing protective masks and hand sanitizing products to our guides and our valued customers.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.