Knights Templar private tour in Tomar & Almourol
On this tour we invite you to explore our best secret: the Knights Templar history. We’ll start our day in Tomar (140 km or 87 miles northeast of Lisbon). We’ll visit the Church of Santa Maria do Olival, that was built in the eleven-hundreds and was used as a burial place for the Knights Templar. Then, we’ll visit the Convento de Cristo which was founded in the same century and was the headquarters of the Knights Templar in Portugal. It’s a Romanic, Gothic, Manueline and Renaissance building with an 8-sided Templar church, inspired in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. We'll also explore Tomar, a lovely town. In the center of Tomar, we’ll find the country’s best-preserved medieval synagogue, that was built in the fourteen-hundreds. Tomar is also the perfect spot for a traditional local lunch. Finaly, we’ll end this tour in the Almourol castle, that was built in the middle of the river Tejo. We will take a boat to reach the castle and enjoy the view from the tallest tower.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Convento de Cristo entrance fee (6€ per person)
- Almourol castle entrance fee (4€ per person)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Private transportation
- Local guide and driver
- Entry/Admission - Convento de Cristo
- Entry/Admission - Castelo de Almourol
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Igreja de Santa Maria dos Olivais, Avenida da Horta D'El Rei, Tomar 2300-304 Portugal
We'll visit the Church of Santa Maria do Olival, that was built in the eleven-hundreds. Was used as a burial place for the Knights Templar and, later, by the Knights of the Order of Christ (which succeeded the Templars in the thirteen-hundreds). It’s mainly a Romanic and Gothic building. In front of the church, we’ll see a rectangular tower, that had a defense purpose in the past.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Convento de Cristo, Igreja do Castelo Templario, Tomar 2300-000 Portugal
The Convento de Cristo was founded in the eleven-hundreds and was the headquarters of the Knights Templar in Portugal. It’s a Romanic, Gothic, Manueline and Renaissance building. The most interesting part in the Convento de Cristo is the Charola, an 8-sided Templar church, inspired in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Levada de Tomar – Moinhos e Lagares d’El Rei, Rua Joao Carlos Everard, 2300, Tomar 2300-000 Portugal
We'll explore Tomar, a lovely town with its pedestrian historic center and surrounded by the Nabão River where we can see swans and families of ducks. Tomar is also the perfect spot for a traditional local lunch (lunch costs are not included).
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Synagogue of Tomar, Rua Dr. Joaquim Jacinto, 73 The synagogue has been renovated and is now open for visitors, Tomar 2300-577 Portugal
In the center, we’ll find the country’s best-preserved medieval synagogue, that was built in the fourteen-hundreds (subsequently it served as prison and warehouse).
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Castelo de Almourol, Praia do Ribatejo 2260 Portugal
The Almourol castle is an old roman fortification that was built in the middle of the river Tejo (Tagus River). Was later improved by Gualdim Pais (1171), the Portuguese Knights Templar Master. We will take a small boat to reach the castle, explore the island and enjoy the view from the tallest tower. The castle was part of the so-called Tagus Line, an imaginary border between the Cristian and Muslim world. It is one of the most representative examples of the military architecture.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We will pick you up and drop you off at the place in which you are staying (if it is located in the city center or the Port of Lisbon).Ports
- Lisbon Cruise Port - Jardim do Tabaco Quay, Doca Jardim do Tabaco Terminal de Cruzeiros de Lisboa, Av. Infante Dom Henrique, 1100-651 Lisboa, Portugal
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We were certified as a “Clean and Safe” company by the Portuguese authorities. An internal protocol was implemented to avoid risks of contagion. We provide all required protective equipment (masks are mandatory). All customer touchpoints are frequently cleaned and cars will not be full of capacity.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.