Lake Atitlan: Mayan Ceremony at the Sacred Caves
Experience an ancient Mayan custom at a fire cleansing and protection ceremony at the Sacred Caves of Lake Atitlan. Immerse yourself in the mysticism of a holy place, and learn why the highland tribes travel for hours to connect with the spirits. Your guide will explain why the ceremonies are performed, and teach you about the ritual and unique meanings of the Mayan calendar.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Materials for your own ceremony are available for an additional fee
- Experience an important ceremony of the Maya people of Guatemala at the most sacred and holy location on Lake Atitlan.
Transfer to the trail-head from Panajachel. Then, walk to the 1st cave (a maximum 20-minute hike). Named “Nimajay”, “San Simon”, “Enchanted” and “Colorado”, the 4 caves have been used by the Mayans for centuries for their Fire Cleansing and Protection Ceremony. The highland tribes travel for hours to visit the holy caves, and you will feel the energy and power as soon as you approach the cave entrance.
Watch the shamans perform the ceremony (not guaranteed, but available on most days) and experience an authentic part of the living Mayan culture of the Guatemala highlands. Your guide will explain why the ceremonies are performed and teach you about the ritual and unique meanings of the Mayan calendar.
Located 1,200 feet above Lake Atitlan, the caves offer panoramic views of the lake and caldera. Stand on top of Eagle Rock and marvel at how the earth drops hundreds of feet around you. Feel your spirit soar like a bird as you stand with nothing but air on all sides.
You can also visit the shrine of San Simon/Maximon, the colonial church and a 200 feet waterfall.
Departure Point :Ferry, Panajachel, Guatemala
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.