Lake Kivu Coffee Private Tour from Kigali or Gisenyi
Embark yourself on an extremely educational excursion over the stunning scenery of Lake Kivu, where you will learn hands-on about the coffee growing process and the entire coffee production chain. The excursion takes you to Amahoro island en route to the nearby washing station where you are introduced to the washing process that involves over 20 sophisticated steps. You pick your own coffee cherries and follow through the various steps of coffee washing. Finally, you can roast the coffee on an open fire and enjoy a cup of your own hand-grinded and traditionally roasted Rwandan coffee alongside local coffee farmers.
per adult from
3 to 5 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Bottled water
- Local guide
- Meet guide at hotel or other place of preference in Kigali or Gisenyi
- Private tour
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Entry/Admission - Lake Kivu
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Transport can be arranged separately after meeting with guide either in Gisenyi or Kigali
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Lake Kivu, Kibuye Rwanda
On Nyamirundi Island, you will visit the plantation of one of Ingoboka’s member families. Each coffee plant is hand-raised and cared for by the farmer. Combined with the volcanic soils of the area, this special treatment gives the coffee a full-bodied, yet non-acidic flavor. Ingoboka has a total of 350 members, all of whom own small coffee farms on or close to the shores of the lake.
From the island, you will continue your journey to the nearby Gashishi Washing Station on the shores of the lake. During the main coffee season (March to June), you can witness over 700 men and women working at the station day and night, but the washing station is also a fascinating place in other seasons. The process is actually rather complicated and involves over 20 different steps. You will receive a full ex-planation of this coffee processing, from picking to washing and later roasting, and even have the chance to pick a few cherries yourself. After an opportunity to sample the cooperative’s coffee, you will return to Gisenyi.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Kigali, Kigali, Kigali Province
Traveler pickup is offered
We pick you up from any hotel or place of stay in Kigali, Gisenyi and KibuyeAirports
- Kigali Intl. Airport, Kigali Rwanda
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.