Lares to Machu Picchu (4 days 3 nights)
This trek will leave you with unforgettably wonderful memories. The steps are high, the nights are cold and the clear evening skies ablaze with stars. Spend a few days surrounded by the pure magic of the Andes and Lares Valley community, unique and spectacular cultural experience encompassed by nature.
Before the trek, your guide will meet you at your hotel for an in-depth briefing. This provides an opportunity to ask questions and do any last-minute shopping before leaving Cusco.
The itinerary below is a example. Hiking times are an average and will vary depending on the group. Additionally, lunch and camp sites may change to meet the needs of the group and conditions.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pre-departure briefing
- Sleeping bag. Our sleeping bags are –20ºC-comfort (0ºF) and and mummy form and include a sleeping liner.
- Inflatable Mattress.
- Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transportation
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks.
- English speaking professional and official tourist guide (2 guides for groups of over 8 people)
- Chef and cooking equipment.
- Horse man (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment) – days 1 to 4
- Saddled horse in case of emergencies or if you are making very little progress (this horse
- is with the group at all time)
- 1 Bag or duffle bag where you can out maximum of 6kg per person (including sleeping pad and sleeping bag) – days 1 to 2(we are going to carry in our horses)
- 3 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 3 Afternoon Snacks and 3 Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as + daily morning snack + daily tea service except last day). Vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost
- One textile snack bag per person, to avoid the usage of plastic bags that contaminate our environment
What's excluded :
- Lunch on the last day after the guided tour at Machu Picchu
- Optional night in Aguas Calientes can be arranged easily.
- Alcoholic drinks
- Tips for guides and field staff.
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu
- DAY 1: CUSCO – LARES – CUNCANI
Early in the morning our guide will pick you up from the hotel and we will head to the Sacred Valley. At the Calca market we will make our last stop before immersing in the mountain. It´s the last chance to buy any last minute things we may need for the hike. The road leading to Lares crosses the Amparaes pass at 4470m, where the mountain view is breathtaking.
Our final destination are the hot baths in Lares. It is naturally occurring, relaxing thermal water as a preparation for our trek. After a gradual climb of a few hours we will stop for lunch, before continuing to the community Cuncani, our campsite for the evening
DAY 2: CUNCANI – PASO PUMAHUANCA – PACCHA
If the day is clear, we will be able to enjoy the view of the Colque Cruz, a mountain capped by a glacier which provides water to the community. We hike uphill on rocky trails passing through high altitude lagoons. As we get closer to the pass the trail becomes steeper and rockier.
Once we have reached the summit, the Pampas of Anta will amaze you. The descent is steep but beautiful, crossing a small forest of ‘Polylepis’, the endemic and endangered trees of the high Andes, until we reach our camp. It is a peacefull area surrounded by trees and with a small river.
DAY 3: PACCHA – PISCIGRANJA – OLLANTAYTAMBO
After breakfast, we will start our last day on the trek, its time for group picture with our porters and field staff. From here the walk down to the piscigranja (fish farm) will be easier. After a few short hours we will meet our private transportation that will take us to the train station in Ollantaytambo to board our train to Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu Town. The hotel staff will be waiting for us at the train station to help with our luggage and escort us to the hotel. After a warm shower we will have a delicious dinner.
DAY 4: MACHU PICCHU GUIDE TOUR AND BACK TO CUSCO
We´ll wake up early to enjoy the goal of this journey, to go to MachuPicchu, it is a 25 minute bus ride to the sanctuary of Machupicchu (2400m / 7874ft). The guided tour will have an average duration of 2 hours. Afterwards, you will still have some time to explore the site. If you feel like an uphill challenge, you have the option to climb the infamous mountain of Huayna Picchu. It is important to mention that in advanced, to climb that mountain you need to get a special permit. Please confirm that you want to make this climb when placing your reservation. There are only 2 entrance times: 7 or 10 in the morning. The trail consists of many steep narrow steps (not recommended for people who suffers from vertigo), the height of the mountain is 2700m / 8858ft (the climb is 300 m.)
After visit Machu Picchu you´ll take the bus to Aguas Calientes for lunch and then board the train to return to Ollantaytambo, where our private transportation will be waiting to take you back to Cusco.
Departure Point :Your Cusco hotel
Departure Time :6am at your hotel ( Every day, including holidays) You will be picked-up at your hotel in Cusco in the morning between 5:00 -5:15 am Hrs. the transport will pick up passengers from several different hotels in Cusco, so your pick-up time may vary. Please be ready and waiting in the lobby.
Return Detail :Your Cusco hotel
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- ALSO INCLUDED:
- 1 night accommodation in Aguas Calientes in a hotel. If you wish to upgrade hotel please ask for options.
- Bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and vice versa.
- Dinner in Aguas Calientes
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps
- Others: hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes / boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunch time if requested with enough time ahead
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Machupicchu entrance fee
- Transfer train station Ollantaytambo-hotel in Cusco
- 1 blanket per Person
- 1 Pillow
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- During the travel, your main luggage can be stored at our office or at your hotel, both free of charge.
- If you are vegetarian, please advise at time of booking
- Original passport,
- Original ISIC (an international student card if applicable)
- Travel insurance,
- Pocket money in Nuevos Soles,
- A small rucksack,
- Rain gear (a rain-jacket and a waterproof trousers),
- Resistible footwear, waterproof trekking shoes are recommended,
- Sandals (for a higher comfort while at a campsite),
- Warm clothes such as a jacket, a fleece (thermal clothing is also recommended for cold nights during camping),
- Hat or a cap (to protect you against the Sun, rain as well as cold),
- Sun cream or sun block,
- Insect repellent – recommended minimum is 20% DEET (please note that no malaria cases have been reported during this trip!),
- Camera and its charger/batteries (please note that batteries are consumed quickly under cold conditions),
- Flashlight/headlamp + batteries,
- Small towel and toiletries,
- Swimsuit (to visit the thermal baths of Aguas Calientes)
- Snacks (biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc.) Please note: we do provide a daily morning snack and our meal service is very complete and well supplied. The recommendation of taken own snack applies only for customers who like a specific snack that might not be in our menu.
- Bottled water for the first morning and a water bottle to be refill.
- Vistadome Train (One Way) – US$55.00
- Single Accommodation US$43.00
- Ingreso to Huaynapicchu
- Black Diamond Hiking Poles.
- Sleeping bags according to route requirement.
- We use 3* hotels in Aguas Calientes, if you dont want to share a room (double or triple), select Single Accommodation in add ons when Bookin
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.