Lava Tunnel Caving | Small Group
Want to see what's underneath all the lava in Iceland? Then join us and explore the hidden world of the lava fields at The End of the Road, Leidarendi Cave. Leidarendi is a pitch black, 900 meter long circular lava tube, showcasing lava formations such as stalactites and stalagmites, along with surprising colors. A lava tube is created after a volcanic eruption when the lava has hardened on the surface, but magma still flows underneath. When the flow of lava ceases and the rocks cool down, a long hollow cave is formed - this natural wonder is called a lava tube.
Leidarendi is less visited than other lava tubes is because of its structure inside. It is not a cave that has proper wooden planks for walking on therefore good sturdy hiking boots are recommended. It has some optional areas where you can crawl through allowing for a more adventurous visit but there are other areas that are accessible for and easier journey and yet end up at the same place, making it a loose figure of 8.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Caving helmet and head torch
- English speaking driver/guide
- Pick up and drop off in Reykjavik
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Clothing suitable for the weather; waterproofs (it can be wet in the cave)
- Boots with ankle support
Leidarendi is one of the most untouched, yet easily accessible lava caves close to Reykjavik. The reason why it is less visited than other lava tubes is because of its structure inside. It is not a cave that has proper wooden planks for walking on therefore good sturdy hiking boots are recommended. It has some optional areas where you can crawl through allowing for a more adventurous visit but there are other areas that are accessible for and easier journey and yet end up at the same place, making it a loose figure of 8.
We normally explore all the cave has to offer as we have small groups of participants, but this can vary depending on who we have in the group. In total the cave is 900 metres and it offers unique rock formations, you and your guide will stop at various locations and hear the dark story about how the cave got its name as well as the geology of this and other lava caves.
• Leidarendi Cave, Reykjavik Iceland
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Look out for a white vehicle with Adventure Vikings written on the side of it.Please be in a position where you can see where the vehicles park and approach your driver.Summer pick up time (1 March until 31 October) is 7:45 - 8:15Winter pick up time (1 November until the end of February) is 8:45 - 9:15Airports
- Reykjavik Domestic Airport, Reykjavik Iceland
- BSI Bus Terminal
- Bus Stop #1 Ráðhús City Hall, Vonarstræti 10, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus Stop #2 Tjörnin The Pond, 101, Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus Stop #3 Lækjargata, Lækjargata 4, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus stop #4 Miðbakki, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus stop #5 Harpa, Sculpture & Shore Walk 101, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus stop 8 - Hallgrímskirkja
- Bus Stop #9 Snorrabraut, Snorrabraut 24, 101, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus stop #10 Hlemmur Square, Laugavegur, Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus stop #11 Austurbær, Snorrabraut 37, Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus Stop #12 Höfðatorg, Þórunnartún 6, Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus Stop #13 Rauðarárstígur, Laugavegur 120, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
- Bus Stop #14 - Skúlagata, Klapparstígur 5, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Wear/ bring outdoor clothing, for example waterproofs as the cave can be wet inside at times
- This is a small group tour ensuring more time is spent exploring the cave (max. 8 people)
- Minimum recommended age is 10 years old
- Minimum participants: 2 people (Contact us if you are traveling alone as we might already have a small group departing at your desired date)
- Summer Departures: From 1. Mar – 31. Oct: Pick up is between 7:45 and 8:15am
- Winter Departures: From 1. Nov – 28 February: Pick up is between 8:45 and 9:15am
- Not recommended for people with claustrophobia
- Travelers should be comfortable with crawling through some tight/ low areas
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- All our equipment and vehicles are thoroughly washed and sanitized after each use.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.